Chapter 5- The Mountains

Lucky grabbed Trevor as I started my car. He sat in the passenger side with me. Some of the boys groaned as they had to sit in the back of the pickup. I grinned. They quickly calmed down when Lucky got into the back.

We drove up to the mountains. Trevor grinned at me as the wind ruffled his already-unruly hair. Lucky hooked her phone up to the car using Bluetooth and played music softly. Trevor quietly sang along to some eighties music.

Everyone climbed out of the truck as I parked. I rolled my eyes as some of them threw rocks. I stepped onto a mine elevator. Trevor quickly joined me. He sighed as he sat on the bench across from me.

"Why'd you bring me up here?" Trevor asked.

"Entertainment value?" I joked. "Can you juggle?"

Trevor deadpanned. "You're the only one who understands my kind of weirdness. Being a geeky dork while also trying to be cool."

Trevor jumped and grabbed my hand. The guys were so loud. We kept our joined hands resting on his knee. I examined him. "What are you doing in Summerville, anyway?"

Trevor paused for a moment. "Honestly, my mom won't say it, but we're broke. We just got evicted, and the only thing left in our name is that creepy old farmhouse our grandfather left us in the middle of nowhere." He looked at me. "No offense."

"The only reason I'm here is because of closeness," I reasoned. "Otherwise, this place is a dump."

"Then why do you live here?" Trevor asked.

"I'm staying here with my aunt for the summer. My grandparents are never around for me, so I stay here. Aunt Jenny's the only one who really knows how to take care of a child." I rolled my eyes.

"What about your parents?" Trevor asked curiously.

"One's a psychopath, the other tried to kill me. Take your option," I said, frowning.

Trevor got up and sat next to me. Our hands never broke apart. "I'm so sorry," he whispered.

"Hey, I have a home and warm food. What else could I ask for?" I reasoned.

The mine elevator shook. I jumped up and pulled us out of it. Trevor let go of my hand as he looked down. There was a face in the darkness below.

"What is that?" he breathed.

"I don't know," I replied, getting scared by the second.

"Gozer."

"Oh, hell no," I said, backing away from the mine.

Something burst out of the hole. Trevor wrapped his arm around me in the split second. The gang laughed it off like it was nothing. Maybe they thought it was a magic trick. Like a lot of people did with my grandfather.

I laughed weakly with them. Trevor looked at me worriedly. His hoodie fluttered as the wind settled. Maybe he thought there was something not mentally clicking with me. That was normal most of the time, but not now. "Gozer" rang through my mind like a fire alarm.

"Come on. Let's go back," I said.

They all agreed, including Lucky. She looked at me as Trevor and I got in the car. The boys kept laughing. They were definitely on something if they were laughing that much. I almost wanted to perform the "test" Grandpa told me to give people when they don't really believe in ghosts.

"What the hell was that?" Trevor questioned, looking back at the elevator.

"Gozer," I said simply. "Class seven. Sumerian God."

"Okay, I didn't know a Gozer was new in town. Who is Gozer?" Trevor snapped.

"Our grandfathers fought them thirty years ago. It's a paranormal ghost god thing," I explained.

"Wait. Our grandfathers knew each other?" Trevor looked at me in disbelief.

"My grandfather is Peter Venkman. Your grandfather was Egon Spengler. They were Ghostbusters," I explained. "Now that we're all caught up, please make sure I don't go over the speed limit."

"Got it," Trevor sighed.

We held hands over the stick as we drove back into town.