𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓; 𝐋𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐞𝐬

Chapter 5

Lies After Lies 

His cold gaze fell upon her. He hated her, or at least he wanted to.

Continuously he wanted to pretend that she was nothing. But that was just an excuse. He pitied her in a way, ever since he found out about her past. But that didn't matter, he used that as a leverage against her.

Regulus straightened his posture. As he thought to himself, he had no hope, no remorse, no sympathy, simply nothing. He couldn't either way. Yet every time he would turn around, there she was. Her blonde hair cascading in the autumn breeze, the way she tilts her head every so often in confusion. No matter how hard he tried, there she was lurking in the back of his mind.

Floods of students walked by, all laughing and smiling. He had no clue what it was about nor the occasion. He was left to sit and roam in the corners as he wished, lurking in the shadows whenever he felt so. He didn't matter here, to him it was just stonewalls enclosed with wood and useless books.

As he left the corner of the hallway he emerged into the flood of continuing students, each one pushing another to make it in time for the following lecture. Enchanting as it was, Regulus could not withstand another moment of having to listen to Professor McGonnagal's blabbering. He dreaded her lectures, since the moment he had arrived and stepped foot here he despised all of it.

Sometimes he'd occasionally pass by Sirius in the hallways, everytime the two would exchange one another a cold glare & Sirius would continue on with his day, forgetting the interaction had ever existed to begin with.

Never once had it bothered him. He preferred it this way.

It was better than having to hear his silent cries from a distance whenever the two would return for break. 

He snapped out of his gaze when he reached the tall dark oak corridor. His eyes wandered the classroom as he made his way to his desk. The doors flung open and from it came in a more than panting Evan Rosier. He rushed towards his seat without a thought not reasoning that McGonnagal had witnessed his abrupt entrance. Yet not a word came from her mouth as she was filing stacks of paper disposed on her desk.

Whilst looking back his eyes met with hers for a split second. The second being over, he looked back in disgust. Regulus turned around only to see a grin plastered all over Rosier's face.

"You fancy her, don't you Black." He teased as he turned around to witness Elladora more than prostrate in her fatigue. Bags ran under her eyes as though she had not gotten one wince of sleep. -- Regulus looked back in repugnance.

He reminded himself that the only reason he and Rosier were even stuck in transfigurations to begin with was because all of the rosters had been filled. He kept reminding himself this throughout McGonnagal's blabbering.

As the bells chimed and echoed throughout the school's halls everyone was rushing out the door and onto their following class. Regulus sat up reach for his bag that was rested on the dark oak floor. Evan came up to him, nudging him with his elbow.

"What Rosier?" Regulus asked.

"You know, maybe I was wrong after all. You don't fancy her." Rosier rambled before he was interrupted by Regulus.

"So now you've come to your senses."

"You love her." He teased once more.

Regulus brushed off the accusation making it seem as though he thought Rosier was foolish nonetheless pathetic. Rosier stood far from Regulus, keeping his distance in the hallway.

Regulus wasn't fond of the possibility or accusations that he "fancied" that atrocity, nor did she. He suppressed every feeling that she bore, whether it was her, his family, anything. Yet with everything that had gone on in the span of just a few weeks he was already barricading himself within his thoughts.

And yet everywhere he roamed she was always there.