Time For Us (Part 1)

Ophelia approached the castle in her carriage, feeling some butterflies in her stomach but unable to put her finger on what it was exactly. Absentmindedly, she smoothed out the skirt of the white dress that she had made herself, its embellishments glittering faintly in the dim light like little stars. Her chestnut brown hair was tied back loosely, a floral pin resting on the left side with wavy strands framing her face and thick locks falling down her back. Over her dress, she wore a white frock coat that she had also made herself. Her fingers idly traced the skin of her slender neck, missing the feeling of the cool chain of her delicate silver necklace that she always wore. Having to let go of her prized possession was one of her deterrents from accepting the invitation, even if it was just for a short time. However, after much deliberation, she had allowed herself to trust a little more freely in hopes to get an enjoyable night out, away from all the stresses and worries of her work as a seamstress. She loved sewing and making clothing, but whenever it started to become a source of stress, she always tried to take a step back before easing back into the rhythm. The host had even graciously provided her a fine carriage as she had no suitable means of transportation, so she believed it to be foolish to turn down such an offer.

Tilting her head slightly, she stared out the window, mesmerized by the lush gardens that were passing by. Flowers of every color dotted the meticulously trimmed bushes, their vibrant hues of crimson and azure and amber standing out against the dark, rich greenery. Floral archways decorated the smooth stone pathways and a magnificent marble fountain stood in the middle of it all, its flowing water sounding like soft piano melodies. An ethereal aura radiated throughout the entire premise, and she felt like she had been transported to a different world, one of fairies and magic and not of worry and hopelessness. Even though she had hardly been there for very long, she felt an odd longing arise within her to stay in that place forever, to relish in its security and fall deep into its tranquility.

The clip clop of the horses' hooves gradually died down, coming to a halt as she arrived at her designated gate. The intimidating iron gates towered over them, a golden number 2 perched at the very top indicating she was in the correct place. The host had specifically picked out gates for the guests, and although seemingly strange, they were asked to comply. She gripped the skirt of her gown out of both excitement and nervousness, silently staring at the majestic castle beyond the gate, its tall towers and terraces of stone harboring forest green vines in its crevices. A welcoming orange glow of lights shone through the massive windows, as if beckoning her to come and join them inside. Her footman opened the carriage door, offering his white gloved hand to help her out. Placing her hand in his, she arose from her seat and stepped off the carriage, feeling the cool evening air tickle her skin. She watched as the iron gates swung open and two attendants in finely tailored white suits came forward to welcome her.

"Lady Ophelia, please come this way," one spoke, gesturing with his arm toward the door.

She paused, surprised by the title by which she was referred. "Lady?"

The attendants smiled. "Yes, my lady. We thank you for coming tonight."

She nodded gracefully. "Please give the host my gratitude, both for the invitation and for this carriage."

"Was your travel satisfactory, my lady?"

"Very much so. It was more than I could have ever asked for."

"Most excellent. Now, if you would follow us, we will take you inside."

Ophelia obliged, thanking her carriage driver and footman one last time before following behind the attendants. Holding onto her skirts, she daintily stepped up the marble stairs as the attendant held the large oaken doors open for her. Once inside, her breath was completely taken away at the sight she beheld. Intricate paintings covered the high ceilings and grand glass chandeliers illuminated the large, open room. The floor was of polished marble and a winding staircase led up to the next level, its banister gilded with gold. Large windows lined the hallways with their velvet curtains pulled to the sides. Ophelia followed the attendants down one of the hallways to one of the side rooms, unable to contain the childish smile on her face. It was so beautiful that it almost felt like she was in a dream that she never wanted to wake up from. It seemed that in that moment, her jaded, hardened exterior or had melted away, its dark stains disappearing and allowing her hope and happiness to shine through. She felt like a young girl again, wide eyed and breathless at the sight of such beauty. The attendants stopped at a gold handled door, swinging it open to reveal an elegantly furnished sitting room with blue cushioned couches and chairs and more large windows. Lanterns lined the walls and another glass chandelier hung overhead. A grand fireplace was at the side, a flame lit and crackling, sending shadows dancing across the dark stone walls.