Blooms and Butterflies (Part 2)

Daisy nearly gasped out loud when she saw the ballroom. It wasn't very full which made it seem all the more larger and more intimidating. Everything from the polished floors to the shimmering chandeliers seems to gleam with an almost blinding light. She wobbled a little in her heels, but Milo steadied her, pulling her a little closer to himself. Her heart was beating so loud she was sure he could hear it, but she did her best to smile and hide it. Milo could still sense her nervousness, so he placed his hand over hers in a gentle manner. She looked over at him, her skin tingling under his touch. She knew he was only trying to help, but it only made her feel even more faint. Pull it together, she told herself. There was nothing going on between the two of them. He was just being courteous.

"Hey," Milo murmured. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," she breathed out, surprised she was even able to form words. "It's just a lot to take in."

"Oh yes, I've been there before. I remember feeling just as intimidated as you when I first came here."

"Oh, but you must be unfazed by now," she reasoned.

"Not at all. This place still never fails to amaze me."

"I can see why."

He smiled. "Don't be intimidated though. It's just a castle. Just walls and floors and ceilings and furniture. That's all."

"Yes, but they're really pretty walls and floors and such. It feels as if I shouldn't even touch or walk on any of it."

"Mm, well, what's dirtied can be cleaned and what's broken can be fixed usually."

"I suppose."

"See? It's not so bad."

"Yes, but what about the people?"

"What about them?"

She blushed a little. "They look so perfect and refined and seem to know exactly what they're doing."

"Oh hardly. We all get dressed up to put on the facade that we're in control, but I guarantee you, most everyone here is unsure of themselves in some way."

"I guess, but I certainly don't look like them and I doubt I could dance like them either."

"Nonsense. You look absolutely lovely, and honestly, you need to be the one to help me with the dance, because I've never been the best at it."

He really knew the right words to say to get her heart to skip a beat. Maybe that was why he was so loved. "You can't dance?"

"Not that well. I won't step on your toes, but I have trouble keeping the rhythm."

She couldn't help but laugh a little which made him smile. "Well, I'm not the best either, but I can try."

"There you go."

Hearing an upbeat waltz start to play, he began to lead her onto the dance floor. Facing each other, she placed one hand on his shoulder and held his hand with her other. He took her by the waist, and she felt herself wobble again before quickly composing herself. She could tell that he noticed, so she shot him a sheepish smile which he returned. This wasn't the first time she'd danced with a boy, but it had been a while since her last. Ever since people started getting more serious about courting each other, no one ever really asked her to dance anymore.

"Ready?" Milo murmured, his face close to hers.

She simply nodded in return and they began to dance. He was by no means a bad dancer, but he wasn't lying when he said that he had trouble keeping the beat. She'd make the proper step and he'd always somehow be a little late. He'd get back on track for a few more steps before falling behind again. She gently corrected him as best as she could, but she couldn't suppress a smile from forming on her face.