Work Wife

Word Count: 3270

(A/N) Sorry this is a taddd late I started reading The Love Hypothesis and I could not put it down, but also this part was pretty long!! Anyway,,

You stepped out of the elevator roughly ten minutes before shift. Approaching the far end the bullpen, you finally saw Spencer's mop of hair bounce up as he made eye-contact with you. You shared a smile as he stood to follow you into the kitchenette for coffee.

He'd already brewed a pot and set out a pair of matching mugs-yours, of course. They were your Christmas gift to Spencer a couple months ago, and they were definitely cheesy but they were science-themed and he loved them. He yawned as he grabbed creamer and sugar.

"You know, you don't have to wait for me to get here to start having your coffee," you teased, doctoring up your own drink.

"Then who would grab the sugar from the top shelf for you?" he retorted, reaching up for it with a tight-lipped smirk.

"I wouldn't need someone to grab the sugar for me if that certain someone would stop putting it back on the top shelf."

You bumped Spencer's hip as he feigned ignorance with a shrug. You two returned to his desk and he pulled out the day's newspaper, flipping a couple pages. He folded the paper to show only a quadrant and flattened it out on his desk. You took a peek at today's crossword clues, raising an eyebrow. You would be shit at the puzzles Spencer did. But he plucked a pen from its holder and got to work. You took a sip from your coffee as you started a stopwatch on your phone and watched his hand dance across the page.

"Time!" he exclaimed.

"Eight minutes, twenty-seven seconds," you replied.

"Ooh, so close," Spencer sighed.

Hotch appeared through the elevator doors, passing you both on the way up to his office with his phone in hand. "Conference room in 5."

You both gave a nod in response, then looked to each other.

"Shit, I forgot to repack pajamas for my go-bag."

Spencer shrugged as he stood, "you can borrow some of mine."

You and Spencer went ahead to the conference room, and other members of the team trickled in the next few minutes. Penelope presented the case, eyes avoiding the screen showing crime scene photos.

"Alright. Wheels up in 20."

Everyone stood from their chairs and went to gather their things. You and Spencer returned with Penelope to her cave, chatting with her until you had to depart.

On the jet, you scooted into the pair of seats by the long table, Spencer sliding in after you. Emily and Derek were directly across from you, Hotch and Rossi planted in some chairs near the table. The team reviewed the details of the case and got some theories and profiles going, wanting to be able to hit the ground running as soon as you set up base at the city's police station.

With about an hour left in the trip, Derek had abandoned his seat for one in the corner to listen to his music. Emily stayed, casually reading while you and Spencer tried to keep your conversation quiet.

You were playing wordle on your phone, which you were actually pretty good at for most of the turns. You didn't want too much help from Spencer so you just let him input his first guess at a random 5-letter word and you went from there. There was one word that stumped you, showing one correct letter placement with two other letters not correctly placed.

"The H being before the T is throwing me off," you groaned. "What the hell ends with T?"

Spencer hummed.