Nicknames

Word Count: 2,650 back on my sappy bullshit

Nicknames were common place amongst your team, at least when the mood called for it. Of course, there were the obvious shortenings of people's names, such as JJ. Hearing "Jennifer" turned heads, and rightfully so as it was so out of place. Derek was obviously the one who came up with most of the nicknames after calling Penelope "Baby Girl" her first day at the BAU.

Although you were relatively new to the team, having been there a couple of months, you had your own variety of nicknames. Last week, you tiredly poured too much creamer into your coffee. You just skipped out on the sugar and drank it anyway, not wanting to waste it. The next time Derek ran into you in the break room, he greeted you with a "hey, Coffee-Mate." Not realizing that was the brand of coffee creamer you'd used, and thinking he was calling you his coffee buddy, you just awkwardly smiled and greeted him in return before retreating back to your desk. So, after that he called you "Sweet Creme," which soon devolved into anything ranging from "Sweet Pea" to "Sweet Cheeks."

Needless to say, it was embarrassing the first time you called him on Speaker with half of the team by your side and he answered with, "What's up, Sweet Creme?" You stammered out that he was on speaker with the rest of the team, stealing a glance at Spencer, who you'd formed a crush on not two weeks after joining. You couldn't make anything of his expression, especially when you accounted for the fact that Derek has been calling Penelope all kinds of weird and sometimes sexual nicknames, and had a few for everyone on the team. He mainly stuck to sweet ones with you.

It was 5:20-something p.m. and you were standing up, putting on your coat and gathering your bag and files to drop off on Hotch's desk. Spencer was suddenly entering your central vision, and you looked up with a smile. He fiddled with the strap of his bag.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yeah," you responded, "Just gimme one sec." You approached Hotch's office and have a gentle knock, entering after he welcomed you in. You dropped off the file, wishing him a good afternoon and telling him to go home soon. He nodded with a slight smile, but you knew he'd stay late again doing God knows how much paperwork.

You made you way back through the bullpen, seeing Derek now at your desk as well. His eyes flicked to you as you approached the talking men.

"Hey, Sweet Cheeks," he grinned as your ears burned red, "I was just inviting Reid here to that bar on Barnett, but it seems like our genius boy is busy." You and Spencer shared a glance before Derek continued. "So how about you Sweet Pea, you up for a few rounds?"

"Actually," you smiled, stealing another glance at the doctor, "Pretty Boy and I have plans," you stated simply, gently and almost subtly bumping his hip with your own. You almost didn't notice Spencer stiffen and become flustered.

Derek's grin turned mischievous. "Plans?" he inquired.

"Yep," you answered, popping the 'p'. "So if you'll excuse us." You looped your arm under Spencer's, hand resting in the crook of his elbow as you pulled him to the elevators. You didn't remove it even as the doors closed in front of you, an amused Derek waving you off.

"Why'd you do that?" Spencer asked. You looked up to gauge his sometimes unreadable expression. He involuntarily switched between being really good at hiding his emotions to being absolutely transparent. This was one of those times when you honestly couldn't tell if he was upset quite yet.

"Do what?" you chirped innocently, wanting him to be more specific. His eyes bounced between your left and right ones, searching for you didn't know what.

"Being all vague with Morgan." The doors opened and you both walked out towards your car. "You know, he's going to think something else is going on," he explained, but smiled all the less.