The Return

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Symin asked, watching Purah as she pressed buttons and entered commands into her contraption.

"He's been gone long enough, if he doesn't show he doesn't show. He could be lost and afraid for all we know," she replied, pressing in the final numbers.

The room was filled with a tense silence. Link had been gone for a whole day, and they were all waiting patiently for him to come back.

They'd sat quietly like that for almost an hour, and few words had passed any of their lips. To say Zelda, who sat cross-legged on a nearby chair, was worried would be an understatement.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the invention began whirring again. A blue light filled the room, blinding everyone momentarily.

After it had passed, Link suddenly appeared, sprawled out on the ground.

"Link!" Zelda cried, jumping out of her seat and scurrying over to her knight. She pressed a shaky hand to his neck.

"By goddesses, he's burning up!" The princess exclaimed to the others. "What on earth happened?!"

Chills ran up and down Link's spine. Daruk's remedy had been handy, but his sickness still persisted, despite not being as worse as before.

From behind, he could hear Purah click her tongue. "I had a feeling this would happen," she said with a shake of her head.

"Time traveling sickness; I can't explain it, it just kinda happens."

Robbie turned to look at her.

"So then, is it like how you got sick when you tested out your anti-aging rune?" He asked, holding a mug of some kind of tea in his hands.

"Yup. I'm guessing that's what's happening to Linky, but not to worry, it's just a stubborn fever. He'll get over it," Purah explained.

Their reassurance did little to calm Zelda. She quickly returned her attention to her knight.

"How do you feel?" She asked worriedly.

"I've...been better," Link replied, hauling himself into a sitting position.

"It's good Daruk gave me some of that..." his voice trailed off, upon noticing what he was saying.

Everyone in the room slowly turned to look at him.

"Daruk?!" Symin exclaimed, breaking the shocked silence. "Like...like the goron champion?!"

Link could only weakly chuckle.

"Oh yeah...probably should've mentioned that sooner," he said, nervously.

The rest of the afternoon was spent listening to Link's wild story about how he'd met a young Daruk, and how he'd also saved him from the malice. All while everyone listened intently, gasping or nodding every now and then.

"I think I know what's happening," Robbie finally spoke.

"The malice is trying to change the course of history."

His statement was met with some more silence.

"How so?" Paya asked, turning to look at him. She'd joined the group as of recent and had placed herself in charge of serving tea and tending to the guests.

"Link just told us it tried attacking Daruk. My theory is, it's trying to 'take care' of the champions before they're appointed to their positions. That way, there's no one to battle against Ganon when he re-emerges. Which means that our future will be altered in a course I do not dare think of," Robbie explained