Scene 6

Scene 6: Asher's Bedroom/Sam's Bedroom/Jasmine's House

The scene opens up where Sam is in his room, and Asher is in his room. Sam is wearing Asher's jacket since he wore the JD trench coat to 7/11. Asher's phone rings and he picks it up. 

Asher: I forgot my actual jacket at your house, didn't I.

Sam: Yeah, But I'll take good care of it. I'm actually calling you about something else.

Asher: Okay. What's up?

Sam: What Jasmine said today... really stuck with me. All this time, we thought we were the only gay kids at school, and bam! School ends and they come out of the closet.

Asher: I don't blame them. They saw how their ex-boyfriend treated us. And they were a cheerleader, they would have lost all their status and ended up at the bottom like we were.

Sam: I know, I get all that. But... if they hid out of fear of what would happened to them... then maybe they're not the only other LGBTQ person at school. It's already amazing to think that we made an influence in Jasmine's life by standing up for what we believe in, but... Ash, what if we inspired other people as well?

Asher: ... Then all the crap we took was 110% worth it.

Sam: Agreed. Even if they are a Heather's line stealer.

Asher: You son of a- I knew you were not going to be happy about that.

Sam: They took my line! That's my line!

Asher: You're impossible.

Sam: Please, tell me how you're any better JD?

Asher: Shut up

Sam: Never

There is an awkward pause of flirty silence. 

Asher: Alright, it's getting late. I'm gonna do some journaling and head to bed.

Sam: Sounds like fun. Talk to you tomorrow.

Asher: Talk to you then.

They hang up, and Asher grabs a diary.

Asher: Dear Diary. Sam has suggested that we move to LA to pursue our dreams of becoming a band together. I agree, and think it's a great plan but... I don't know how much longer I can keep this charade up. I know he doesn't like me. Why would he? We're best friends. The fact that I would even think about risking that is infuriating. But I can't change how I feel.

Easy to Hate You

ASHER:

Frustrate me backwards into bed/ My blue and green, they turned to red, oh

I used to save the words you said/ In the texts that you would send when you were going to bed

It's like you were yellow but the lights were red/ We both know you'd never stop until we both stop dead, it's like

You're selfish and a half/ And the other half is me/ Who's apparently not mad enough

To get up and to leave

Ensemble:

It's too easy to hate you, and hard to love/ It's too easy to hate you, when was it not?

All that I can do is fall in blame with you/ It's too easy to hate you, hate you