American Pie

The phone was ringing at 10 p.m sharp, just like it always did when your boyfriend, Buddy was on tour.
"Hey Doll"
"Hey baby," you responded.
"Hey, I just called to tell you that I'm chartering a plane. I know I said I wasn't gonna fly, but I have to. You see, the bus is broken down, Carl Bunch is in the hospital with frostbite, and The Big Bopper has the flu. On top of all that, we're tired of freezing and our clothes need to be washed."
"Oh Buddy, I really wish you wouldn't fly, but I understand. Which airport are you heading to?"
"Mason City Municipal Airport. It's not far from here. We'll be in Fargo for the night and then we'll head to Moorhead, Minnesota tomorrow."
"Oh ok. Stay safe baby."
"I will. I'll call you when we get to Fargo. Love you."
"I love you too"
You hung up the phone. Something didn't feel right, but you didn't know what. You decided to pass the time by watching you and Buddy's favorite show, "I Love Lucy".
You ended up falling asleep. You woke up and checked the time.
10:00 a.m
You decided to make a pot of coffee and listen to the radio. "Earth Angel" by The Penguins was playing. You were humming along. This was you and Buddy's song. You couldn't help but think of him.
The song stopped abruptly.
"We interrupt this program for a special news bulletin. Three young singers who soared to the heights of show business on the curent rock and roll craze, were killed today in the crash of a light plane in an Iowa snow flurry. The singers were identified as Ritchie Valens, 17, Buddy Holly, 22, and JP Richardson, professionally known as The Big Bopper. The aircraft, chartered from the Dwyer Flying Service, crashed near Mason City, ironically the setting for the prominent musical, "The Music Man". The pilot, Roger Peterson of Clear Lake, Iowa, was also killed. The three singers had appeared at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa last night, and were on their way to Fargo, North Dakota. Their small chartered plane crashed in a lonely farm yard about 15 miles north west of Mason City. The cause of the crash was due to inclement weather conditions. The tales upcoming from Action Central News."

You dropped your coffee and started crying.
"Why...?" was all you could say.

The funeral was February 7th. You didn't know what to feel. You were numb and heartbroken. All you wanted was for your one true love to wake up. It was a closed casket funeral. Even though you knew the sight would be gruesome, you wished it was open casket. You wanted to see his beautiful face again.
But you couldn't.
When the time came to bury him, you threw a bouquet of flowers in with him.
Life was going to be very different.