Chapter 1 - I am Getting Married!

"I have to tell you something..."

"Hmm..."

"I... actually I..."

"Hmm..."

"Iamgettingmarried!"

"Hmm"

"Ananya, did you listen to what I just said? I am getting married!"

"Huh?" 

The unfinished lines of code began flashing 'Error' as she inadvertently pressed Enter on hearing the announcement.

"Congratulations?!"

"What kind of reaction is this?"

"I... Who are you marrying? 

Not that slick investment banker I hope. 

OMG, please tell me it's not the dentist. His shiny white perfect teeth give me the creeps!! 

Or, have you finally bowed down to your parents' pressure and agreed to an arranged marriage with a rich second-generation heir?"

"Hahahahaha....none of them my dear Ananya, none of them. And I barely had a couple of dates with them."

"Haish! Thank God! I am far too busy today to murder these people to prevent you from marrying them. And I would not look good in prison colors or a jumpsuit for that matter - not my style you see."

"LOL. You are hilarious."

"That I know. So, who's the lucky guy?", asked Ananya, dumping her work in favor of conversing with her BFF and sister-from-another-mother since their college days, Sona Mahant.

"Dhruv", came the shy response.

"Dhruv...the police officer?", recollected Ananya.

"Yes."

"He...you..."

"Since when do you hesitate?"

"Since it involves my best friend's feelings."

"You can ask anything, I won't mind", encouraged Sona softly.

"You've met him more than two times?"

The laughter that met the question made Ananya cringe in shame and embarrassment. 

"I didn't mean it that way!", she tried to salvage her dignity.

"Tthen hhow did you mmeean it?", came the gasping response.

"I just...are you sure about him?"

"Yes", came the dreamy yet assertive reply.

"Then my dear Sona, you have my heartiest congratulations! I wish you both a happy married life. And I hope you guys make me a maasi (aunt) soon!!

"Ananya!", came the blushing reproach.

"What? Get used to it dear bestie. I am only saying, several versions of which, you'll be hearing a million times from now on."

"I know. But still..."

"Hehehe...I'm trying to get in as much teasing as I possibly can till you are still my BFF. Once you become Mrs.Sona Mahant Dayal, I'll have to treat you as a respected elder", she said innocently.

Ananya started laughing uproariously on hearing the choking sounds from the other end of the call.

"You are evil", responded Sona once she got herself under control.

"That I am and proudly. And oh, m' vengeful too!", she reminded smugly.

"Whatever!"

"Will aunty and uncle be home tonight? I'll come by dinner time."

"Yes, we are all home. Come by sooner, we can talk some more."

"Ok, let me see how it goes with this code that you so spectacularly interrupted with your unceremonious announcement!"

"Jerk."

"Nerd."

"So, when are you going to introduce me to ji-ja-ji?", she asked teasingly.

"I'll call you."

"Ok. See ya later."

"Oh...Butter Chicken and naan."

"With boondi raita and cold coffee, I know!"

"Hahaha, see ya."

Once they disconnected the call, it was hard not to think about the day they met, all those years ago, in a country seven seas away from their homeland.

A/N  

Blame my new addiction - Sudoko, for forgetting to post this chapter yesterday  ;D