Chapter 4 - The Beginning of a Brotherhood

Knowing from experience, DD climbed straight to the terrace on the 2nd floor, which housed a fully functional gym, sauna, and swimming pool.

Just as he knew, Neil was in there boxing the punching bag.

Since joining the cybercrime unit, Neil's majority of working hours were spent sitting behind a desk, staring at a computer. That's why he had had this space built specifically to maintain his fitness regime, irrespective of the hour of the day.

DD casually sat on a bench and let Neil finish his set. He knew how important physical fitness was for a policeman. He himself ran 5 miles daily, irrespective of the weather outside. And swam at the police club whenever he got the chance to.

Or if he was at Neil's, he'd use his gym and Neil would join him during his run. No matter how tired they got during the day, they knew they could only keep themselves and the people around them and the public safe if they were fit enough to do so.

Uncaring of the sweat dripping off his body, Neil used a towel to casually wipe his face, hand, and neck, before hanging it loosely around his shoulder. He then sauntered to the fridge in the corner and pulled out two bottles of water. He threw one to DD before twisting the cap of the other one and pouring it straight down his throat in one go. Only when he had thrown the empty bottle in the trash with a dunk did he sit across from DD on the bench, who by the way, was still sipping on the water just given to him.

"No juice? Is this how you welcome guests in the house?"

"If you were a guest, I would make an effort."

"Hai! Really?? You love me so??" DD clutched the bottle dramatically to his heart and even batted his eyelashes for added effect.

"Freeloaders, I'd simply throw them out of the house", deadpanned Neil without a second of hesitation.

"Hah! You don't love me anymore."

"I never did."

"You are so heartless."

"I am a cold block of ice that can give frostbite from 10 ft. away with just a look - I know how I am described in the internal police gossip."

"It's just the ones who have failed to capture your interest even after trying various means."

"I don't like being manipulated. Besides, if they have so much free time, they can go and train or put their brain power to good use in the field. We'd solve more cases this way and faster too."

"Yes sir!"

"Forget them. Are you all set?"

"Yes. I'll be bringing Sona here for lunch tomorrow and then we'll head straight to Sona's house for dinner."

"Both the meetings in one day?"

"Yes. Because once this formality is over, both the families can meet over the weekend and discuss wedding preparations."