Chapter 14 - Sight and Stories

Josh sat poised on his favorite couch, his eyes hardened as they swept over each person gathered in the lounge. Even Corliss, who was normally spared from such meetings, was present though her attention seemed more focused on her hands than what was happening around her. Everyone seemed to know what they had been summoned for but still Bavita caught herself chewing on her lip, a nervous, almost sick, feeling creeping into her gut. The third villain had finally attacked and had only failed because she'd decided to be slow with her dishing out of punishment. Liss was alive because Thana was dramatic not because the seeress had shown any considerable talent or smarts or even finesse in defeating the spirit. Bavita hadn't even defeated her. She'd simply hit her repeatedly with a frying pan, the first weapon she could get her hands on. There was nothing brilliant about that.

"Thana attacked," the shifter eventually spoke, straightening so he could project without shouting, "and was foiled but that's not why I asked to speak to everyone. I asked to see everyone because we've been slack. Three times we've let the villains come close to killing Liss. That's unacceptable. Yes, we stopped them but the fact that they even got close to achieving their goals is pathetic on our part." The words, although Bavita had been expecting them, still stung worse than any burn ever could. She, specifically, felt worse because as a seeress she should have been able to see the villains coming. She should have been able to prevent them from even breathing the same air as Liss but as always, her gift was selectively present. And it made Bavita feel all the more horrible for it. Liss had just been showing signs of improvement, she'd just started coming out of her depression with Aaron's training and teaching Nom during the day. Now the writer was curled into herself again. They were back to square one.

"You are correct," Aaron voiced from the shadows, "none of this should have been allowed to happen."

Josh nodded, "However, guilt-tripping ourselves isn't going to change the past. We've made mistakes, we've all wallowed a little longer than we should have but the time for leniency is over. No more sulking and no more shifts. We are all going to watch Liss twenty-four seven from now on. I feel the villains won't try attacking individually anymore. They will come as a group and when they do, we will be prepared. We are going to protect Liss with everything we've got and, to make ourselves better prepared, we're going to train in every way we can." The last bit was news startling enough to rip Bavita from her self-pity and thoughts of how easy Josh made it sound to stay focused when he himself had been caught in the same snare. Even Liss had deemed the revelation shocking enough to tear her eyes from her tightly clasped hands in her lap, her mouth agape in an 'o'.

"Train?" Nom asked the question everyone was obviously thinking.

"Yes, train," Josh stood from his seat and wiped his hands on his jeans, "we all have our own unique gifts and whatnot but I think we can all benefit from a little self-defense and combat training. I want to cover all angles, make sure those slimy little bastards don't overwhelm us in any sense." It was logical, Bavita considered, especially since she and Nom had no useful 'unique' gifts when it came to fighting. Sure she could supposedly see the future but what use were headaches and disorientation when faced with a foe? She would be slaughtered before she could even make sense of her vision.

"I agree," the seeress stated plainly, "it's a good idea. If we don't have to worry about anybody else, we won't get distracted from our main goal."

"Exactly!" Josh beamed at her and she almost felt the need to smile back. Unfortunately Bavita's heart and soul felt too black to conjure up even a fake spec of happiness.

"When shall we start?" Aaron asked as he stepped from the shadows, his body loose almost as if he too agreed with the sentiment.

"As soon as possible," Josh responded but before he could continue, Liss interrupted him.