𝐢𝐢. 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝘁 𝗮 𝘀𝗺𝗼𝗸𝗲𝘆 𝗺𝗶𝗿𝗿𝗼𝗿

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.
staring at a smokey mirror

A MIRROR. A mirror is supposed to be a reflective surface, a replica of who or what is staring back at it. A mirror tells all; some people like what they look like, and others don't. People everywhere don't like their reflections. But some people do. There is a chance that someone in their room is admiring their reflection. Loving the way their hair looks, or the way their outfit turns out, perhaps the way their figure looks. Reflection does tell all, and because of this, it harms many people.

Especially women. Misogynistic views can perceive the perception of them in the mirror. Our society engraved that women should be obsessed with their appearance. Some women can break free from that horrible assumption. Some don't want to, as they believe in tradition, ━ even if it's sexist as fuck. But others don't want to because there is something so intriguing about seeing themselves from the same point of view as everyone else. Call it self-absorbed, but many people enjoy having a mirror so they can see themselves. That may be in a positive light, whether external or internal.

Once in her life, Camila was one of those people. Growing up, she always tried to look at a reflection. Some made fun of her for it, but the Aguilar did not care. Why should she? The girl always loved makeup because when she was ten and visited her friends in the Outer Banks, she still spoke English with struggle. Later on, with the help of an English tutor, Camila spoke English with an American accent. But anyway, expressing her feelings was an issue, no matter what language she spoke. Only one person could understand how she felt without the simplicity of words. Make-up, hair, and fashion were Camila's escape. Because she had to choose what kind of makeup she would do, she styled her hair. She was the one sewing clothes in her room. Maybe people could control how they viewed the girl's nature, but Camila could control what they saw when looking at her appearance. Their opinion of what they saw could have been different, but they saw the same thing she saw.

So it was for that reason she carried around a compact mirror. It was black with white Chanel text engraved in the back. A friend borrowed it from a store ━ and then proceeded to pass it down to her. This friend "borrowed" it from a store because he noticed her habits of checking her makeup and hair growing up. His friends surrounding her found it strange (especially a certain curly-haired girl, who always said she didn't fit in with the boys because of it). The blonde boy was no longer friends with the girl, but she still kept the mirror. Aswell something else he gave her. Camila's mirror gifted could always be found in her purse or pocket. The miniature mirror was a security item.