Newbie QB Part 1...

I was happy with the way my life was. My brother, Troy Dixon, was the quarterback of our school's football team. The coach and I had an agreement and, even though I was a student, I was the assistant coach. This was a bigger plus. I was always around the person I wanted to be around- Sophie De La Rosa. That girl was incredible. I was staring at her when Coach Russell snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Avery!" I ran over to him. We were down with enough time to run one final play. "You think your brother will listen and run a play action pass?"

"As his sister? Yes. As his coach? Absolutely not."

"Well, let's hope that your sister instinct is correct." We called a timeout and the boys jogged over.

"We're calling for a play action pass." I told the boys. "You better execute the play action pass." I eyed my brother.

Of course, he didn't execute the play action pass. He ran the ball and we lost the game.

XXX

I was scolding my brother when all of a sudden Sophie's friend, Bella, threw the football across the field, hitting the mascot in the head.

"Oh my god." I watched her in awe.

"My bad! Losses make me emotional."

"Hey, girl with the freakishly strong arm!" Coach yelled at her. "You wanna try out for quarterback?"

"Who me? QB?"

"Who? Her? Q what?" Troy yelled in distress.

XXX

The boys clearly didn't like Bella. They were being practice champions, hitting her extra hard, the O-Line was playing weak for the defense so they could tackle her. Meanwhile, they set it up so Troy looked good. The boys got into her head. She started to struggle. I really wanted her to get a fair chance, so I went to the only person I could think of.

"Hey, Sophie." I ran up to Sophie and Pepper. "Can we talk for a minute."

"Uh, yeah, sure." Pepper took the hint and walked away.

"Look, I know you're friends with Bella. Just make sure she keeps her spirits up. The boys were rough on her today, but I think she'd be a great QB. Just make sure she knows that too."

XXX
Sophie did tell Bella that. She showed up and she played amazing. Better than Troy. Which is why we were about to give her the QB spot.

"What will they do?" Ace said repeatedly over the mic.

"They will tell you to turn off that mic!" I yelled at the mic.

"Bella, now you have the arm, you know the game, but you're still untested. Going with you would be a big risk."

"But this is Texas." I reminded everyone. "We go big or we go home. Gentlemen, say hello to your new quarterback." I pointed at Bella with a smile on my face.

XXX

Later that night, I got a text from the person I least expected.

Sophie

hey

whats up?

ik it's last minute but r u free?

kinda need someone to talk to rn

yea sure

where?

XXX

"So why here?" I asked as I climbed onto her house roof.

"I have 9 brothers. Loud, tiny house. Sometimes I need to escape."

"So you come here?"

"Yeah."

"So, why'd you wanna talk?"

"I wanted to talk about Bella."

"Oh, okay." I said, sort of shocked and disappointed.

"Look, I love Bella, but I'm afraid she's gonna prioritize football over cheerleading. We have a huge meet coming up and we can't lose."

"I mean, she's QB. She needs to be there for the team."

"What about our team?" She raised her voice slightly.

"Look, Sophie, you supported her when she was trying out and you need to support her now. No matter what. She's a part of the football team. Just remember that."