Chapter 16

FBI Agents James and Raye stood in the entrance to the squad room, apologetic smiles on their faces. Anika marched right up to them, a snapping fury in her eyes. "Luke Mitchell?!"

Caleb shrugged a shoulder. "The FBI have no jurisdiction in November Falls Unsolved Crimes, Detective Bright," he reminded her charmingly.

Anika raised an eyebrow, as charmed as she would have been if she'd just been serenaded by mould. "We deserved to know you had Luke Mitchell in custody."

"You had to pursue your investigation," Sam sighed, sounding more understanding than his colleague. "We couldn't be sure if Luke Mitchell was involved in whatever happened to his brother. We're still not even certain that he even was. And," Sam looked meaningfully at Ted, "as Detective Edwards said, it is your job to investigate the circumstances of Adam Mitchell's disappearance."

"What a real win for interdepartmental cooperation," Nick muttered sarcastically. Evelyn had to agree; the cooperation on this case left a lot to be desired.

Myra rubbed her forehead, a sure sign of an impending migraine. "When can we interview him?"

"He's in interrogation," Caleb replied, a slight twinkle in his eyes. "He's a real pill, so he's cooling his heels for a bit."

Lieutenant Yates frowned at the FBI agents, seeming to weigh something up. "Myra, Evelyn; you take first crack at Mr Mitchell. We'll be in Observation."

"Sure thing, Lieutenant," Myra agreed, sharing a brief glance with Evelyn.

As usual for when the two blondes worked together, Myra took the lead, striding into the dull grey Interview Room. Evelyn followed more sedately, letting Myra settle into her frostily professional demeanour. Luke Mitchell was, astoundingly, everything Ryan West had described. His smug arrogance was as clear to the detectives as it had been in Ryan's story.

Twenty-five years had turned Luke Mitchell from an impeccably dressed and styled twenty-one year old with his whole future ahead of him, to a cold forty-six year old facing a lengthy stay in prison.

"Mr Lucas Barton?" Myra asked, glancing up from her folder.

Luke's cold gaze roved over the two detectives, a smirk curving his lips.

Evelyn forced down a shudder, fingers flexing on the grip of her pen. Luke Mitchell had only smirked, and he was already getting to her. It wasn't Nick's infuriatingly gorgeous half-smirk; there was something chilling about it, like getting smiled at by a snake or a serial killer.

"Not answering to that name, Mr Barton?" Myra sighed, icy in her disappointment.

Evelyn offered her colleague a consoling smile. "Perhaps we have the wrong name," she offered, flicking through the folder before her. She pinned him with her most innocent look. "Would you prefer we call you Luke Mitchell?"

Once again, Mitchell remained silent, the only reaction a momentary tightness to his jaw.

Myra's foot nudged Evelyn's under the table, a silent prompt to continue.

"25 May, 1996," Evelyn recited, still with the same sweet smile. "The date ring any bells?"

A bright grin stole over Mitchell's features, seemingly transforming him before their very eyes. "One of the best days of my life," he uttered fondly. "That's the day Adam bought one. I'm sure you're familiar with the term; popped his clogs, kicked the bucket, shuffled off, croaked, began to sleep with the fishies, snuffed-"