unfinished: run rewrite

tw/cw: none? feel free to correct me :)

here's the full original story (part 1 since that's what this is): https://www.yonkerspublicschools.org/cms/lib/NY01814060/Centricity/Domain/4979/run%20series%20one.pdf

Mac and Dennis were stiff with apprehension as Dennis drove the old pickup truck down the empty highway. They hadn't seen a single soul outside of each other in the entirety of the multi-day drive.

In the countryside it was expected, but now, they were on a major highway and there wasn't even a hint of another living human having been here in the last few hundred miles. All there was to comfort the two was the eerie sound of birds chirping calmly and the faint sound of bluegrass on the radio. Occasionally, they would see an abandoned car, but that was the only sign of humanity on the hundreds of miles they had driven.

The only reason they were taking the main road was because Dennis convinced Mac that it was too dangerous with the smaller, less known country roads. Too many curves and too many trees..You could never see if anything was coming for you.

-----------------------------

When the virus began, Dennis and Mac were ranch hands working on the same farm. They were both going into their second year of college and it was by complete chance that they took the same job. Dennis went to school on the East Coast and Mac on the West, so they had no chance of meeting before then. Even then, they had a lot in common. Both of them were very studious and loved to read. They both made great grades at school. This made many assume that they did not like the outdoors based on the nerd stereotype, but it would be an incorrect assumption. Dennis and Mac both absolutely adored being outside. When on the farm, a good day would end in them both being covered in dirt and sweat, and the two quickly became friends.