Chapter 1: Can you stay here tonight?

Grand Gotham Hotel, Gotham City, 6th November, 2020, 21:00 GMT-6

When she first asked him to meet with her after the monthly League meeting, he was surprised. Bruce didn’t expect her to ask for help on this day. His help, on top of it.

But here he was, waiting for her to arrive. The few times that he thought about her over the past ten years, he always came to the conclusion that it was Dick who would have helped her through this dreadful anniversary. Before their breakup. Now, he would've thought of her best friend Artemis Crock, AKA, Tigress.

“And here I thought you weren’t gonna show up”.

The blue-eyed billionaire lifted his gaze to meet another pair of royal blue eyes and a devious smirk. One that hid a lot of heartache and sadness. She had grown up a lot in the past ten years.

“Today is an important day, and it was obvious that you didn’t want to be alone, Zatanna.” answered Bruce as Zatanna took a seat in front across from him at the table. “Besides, I promised Giovanni that if something were to happen to him, I would take care of you”.

Zatanna turned to look out through the floor to ceiling window that was exactly next to their table, gazing at the cars and people below. They  looked like little ants, stuck in the traffic or walking on the pavement, making their ways home to be with their families.

She felt slightly jealous of the rest of people around them. They all seemed to have the luxury of having a family for when they returned home after a long day at the office.

She only had a dark, cold and lonely penthouse here in Gotham. Not the warmth of her mother’s laughter, or the goofiness of her father’s illusionist tricks.

Only nostalgia and longing for something that was snatched away from her.

Bruce sensed what her exact thoughts were. And he could most certainly relate to what she was feeling. Zatanna’s current mood and expression are an exact mirror of his when it was the ten year anniversary of his parents’ murder.

Broody, gloomy and solemn.

“Well, you took care of my education and then you still kept an eye on me through Dick. And now you are here. My knight in dark armour. So you kept your word just fine”. There was bitterness and sorrow lacing her every word.

“Why did you call me here tonight, Zatanna?”

“You said it yourself, Bruce. I didn’t want to be alone”.

“Yeah, but why me and not Dick?”

At this, Zatanna turned to look at him. Her face softened, and her scowl turned into a sad smile.

“Because he doesn’t understand this loss as much as we do, Bruce.” answered the young sorceress.

“He lost his parents too. You know that, right?” questioned the bat-themed vigilante, not quite understanding her point. Dick had gone through what they both had, and all of what that supposed.