• CHAPTER 1 •

• Foggy Hangout •

{Luna's Struggle}

Amongst the wild chirps of birds and the barking chatter of students, Killua walked. His feet carried him excitedly towards the exit of the school. He likes learning, but school drains his energy.

Once he got closer to the plain black striped gates, colorful trees aligned his vision with its swaying and falling foliage that crunched like a biscuit under his sneakers.  "Killua! You bitch!" The sudden call alerted him, startled his being, so every pore in his skin prickled. He almost made a full turn until a strong arm jolted the image of nature and distorted its whole existence. The man's muscles were tough, squeezing his neck like a lime. 

"Ouch!" He squeaked, but the man only laughed.

"Caught you before you run away! HAHA!" All Killua could see was his dirty black sneakers and the black leather shoes nearby. Those squeaky clean shoes with no design or fashion taste that only ONE senior would wear.

"Leorio, leave the boy alone." New pair of shoes crunched their way to them. In a few seconds, he witnessed the blue pair of sneakers. It was that oceanic blue that you'd never wear to a school— at least, not to Killua's school. Only one person would wear it occasionally; Kurapika. He knew it was him before his feet reached his sight. His voice is the smoothest out of any male's voice he'd ever heard. And Kurapika considers that an insult.  

"Jeez, I was joking! But you saw how he tip-toed away from us?!" His arm tugged Killua's neck further down then back up again. "You little sneak—"

"I didn't!" Killua objected and struggled to free his sabotaged neck from the abuser. His long pale fingers crawled on Leorio's tan and hairy arm and tugged it off his squeezed neck. Leorio tightened his grip, however, his neck wasn't as squeezable as before. "I was gonna wait for you guys next to the gates!"

"Liar!" Leorio seethed and threateningly tightened his grip on Killua. So, he decided to tug his arm off by the hair. "Motherfu—"

Killua breathed. He stumbled a few paces away, and his handbag slipped to the now empty front area-ground. "You're a fucking idiot!" He whimpered and rubbed his neck. He's almost sure it has finger marks on it. 

"Whatever, McJerry's?" Killua glowered, but Leorio paid him no attention. With his disheveled short spikes, uncleansed glasses, and the usual office look, he asked his feminine boyfriend.  

"No, Poppies." Kurapika shot him a look, combed his blond straight hair, and walked in front of Killua. "We have a triple study date, you forgot?" He didn't turn when he said, full of sarcasm like usual. Killua took Kurapika's traditional blue clothes as a guide to follow. Poppies has always been their study spot. It's in a much quieter place than McJerry's. However, Killua thinks it's a little riskier to go to Poppies at times like these because in autumn, once they leave the school grounds, it'll get a bit foggy. 

Living on a mountain is never easy. You get lots of snow, hard winters, so a lot of blizzards. Not to mention the snow piles that could roll off a hill. It could kill someone. Fog is a natural thing in this village, where a lot of people from different races gather to live together. 

It's normal to see weird things.

"It's normal to see what's abnormal," a teacher once said in a class Killua attended. "We hear about deer attacking a store, a bear invading a house, a wolf howling at midnight. We hear a lot about people living wildly in the woods."

Killua's never paid attention to a class like that one before. The teacher made it seem interesting, brought the topic to life as if she experienced it — as if she lived it. "Today's homework is how to deal with our most common problems. Choose one, either a natural disaster or a Wild accident to talk about, stating its points, its risks, and how to avoid it."