Chapter 9

The short trip from the entrance of the domed city to Ana's house passed in a blur for Alba, who was overwhelmed by everything even before they reached the reservation. It was as if her fundamental understanding of existence itself had changed, and it was difficult for her mind to cope with it.

It was somewhat of a relief to her when Ana pointed out a small egg-shaped house as her own, hoping that, at least for the time being, she could escape the enormity of it all. She figured that no matter how different her house was, the basic idea had to be the same.

"Are you okay?" Ana asked as her home security system finished scanning her retina and the front doors moved aside to let them in.

"Fine, it's just too much to process. There are way too many things I have to accept and adjust to. I'm not sure I can do it," Alba said, her voice shaking.

"Come, let's go inside, and maybe relaxing might help you get your bearings," Ana said, guiding her in. "I remember that you always found it difficult to process too many things at once, causing you some pretty bad headaches. I promise you that it gets easier with time."

"Maybe for you it did, but I am not sure it will be the same for me," Alba said, as she lowered herself on the most regular-looking piece of furniture she could find, a simple grey sofa. "You could always adjust to changes faster and better than me. It was something that I always admired about you but also something I envied."

Ana wanted to say something to help Alba understand it might take some time, but that she would see that Heartforest wasn't that bad after all. However, knowing Alba's personality well, Ana knew it was something Alba needed to realize on her own. She needed to process everything in her own time.

"Alright, I know you are not feeling great right about now. So, I programmed a nice warm shower for you," Ana said, changing the subject. "And while you wash away the scents of the jungle, I'll prepare some food you might be familiar with."

"That sounds perfect," Alba said, realizing how bad she smelled and how the clothes clung uncomfortably to her tired body. "Do you have any clean clothes I can borrow?"

"Yes, they are on the third shelf to the left," Ana said, showing her the bathroom door. "Oh, and you can change the water temperature by pressing the button with the showerhead on it if my settings aren't to your liking."

"Okay, thanks," Alba said, not really paying close attention to her words.

Her focus was on washing away the fear and tears off her and her clothing, hoping that it would give her some sort of mental peace as well. Even though she didn't know if that was possible, after everything she had been through.

The bathroom was enormous and futuristic looking. However, Alba only saw the large bathtub where she could soak and relax. The moment she stepped inside, warm water started running, startling her, causing her to almost slip.

"Well, that sure would have been fun. I survive a carnivorous dinosaur but get killed by a fancy bathtub," Alba thought bitingly.

The mild water temperature wasn't enough for Alba at that moment. She needed to scorch away all the dread, so she tried to remember how her friend told her to adjust the temperature. Vaguely recalling her words, she tapped the showerhead icon. It immediately turned blue as cold water started running down, splashing over Alba, goosebumps spreading all over her body.

After some additional struggle with the far too modern technology for her taste, Alba managed to find the hot setting that wasn't scorching. It gave the showerhead a soft orange glow instead of the red one that had burned her moments before.

"Finally," Alba said as she settled into the bathtub comfortably.

She tried not to think about anything but allow the water to soothe all her fears. It had always had that kind of effect on her. In her moment of need, she hoped it might still do the same.

Random images of her bizarre trip flashed before her eyes, disconnected and confusing. She allowed them to wash over her, not trying to hold on to them or find any sense or reason in them. They pulled her into a peaceful relaxation that was harshly interrupted by the loud banging on the door.

"Alba, are you okay?" Ana asked hesitantly. "You've been there for quite a while, and the food is getting cold."

"I am coming!" Alba yelled out, snapping out of her daze that might have turned into a short nap.

Stumbling out of the bathtub, Alba struggled with the shelves as they seemed to be inside the wall. But finally, she figured out to press the icon next to the one she needed making it slide out and getting the clothing she needed. As she was getting dressed, she realized that a loud rumbling noise wasn't another monster, but it belonged to her hungry stomach begging for food.

"There you are. I worried you might have slipped in the tub or something," Ana said, laughing awkwardly.

Since that was almost what happened, Alba didn't find her statement very funny. Yet, she did find the smell of delicious food very enticing. It smelled like something familiar and, more importantly, something delicious.

"What smells so good?" Alba said as she took a seat at the round table surrounded by a few round chairs.

They were all made of a material Alba couldn't recognize, but that was clearly not wood. However, her guesses were soon enough thrown to the side as she noticed the delicious dish which stood on the table.

"It's a rice dish I came up with myself," Ana said, looking at Alba carefully. "People say it's quite good, but I'll let you be the judge of that."

Alba dug in far more forcefully than she would have had she been back home and not in a new land starving for some familiar food. The combination of rice and different vegetables and spices worked wonderfully, making a tiny sound of delight escape her mouth.

"Mhm, this is really good," Alba said with her mouth full. "Who would've guessed that the girl who couldn't even make pancakes would become this good of a cook?"

"Alba, we were ten. You didn't know how to make them either," Ana said, smiling at the memory. "I can't believe you remember that."

"I remember everything. I used to let all the memories play around my mind trying to figure out what happened. Why you left me behind," Alba said, paying more attention to the food going into her mouth than the words coming out of it.

Ana felt as if Alba had stabbed her in the heart with her offhand comments, but there was nothing she could do when faced with the truth of the matter. She had to accept that she wasn't the only one who struggled over the years, that Alba had suffered too, albeit in different ways.

"So, I am guessing you don't eat meat here?" Alba asked, not noticing the storm her previous words had caused in her friend.

"That's a long story and something I meant to explain once you got your strength back," Ana said, wondering if she should have told her that sooner.

It was difficult to tell what was important to share so as to help Alba adjust.

"I can eat and listen," Alba said, stuffing another spoonful of rice into her mouth.

"Well, as you can see, this world has evolved differently than ours," Alba said, thinking where to start with her explanations. "I guess in reality, it all started with DHA."

Before Ana could continue, impatient buzzing could be heard that startled Alba at first. Nonetheless, she calmed down upon realizing it wasn't different from someone ringing the doorbell persistently, without stopping.