Thirteen

[ Where have you been?! ]
_____

"Son of a bitch!" Riyo cried out as she dropped both leashes and furiously lunged for the boy standing in front of her.

Akashi side-stepped her brutal attack with ease. His emperor's eye had unfair advantages, even off-court, that made her curse him and his talents all the way to hell. He was the one who led the Kiseki no Sedai down a path of victory at any cost with no regard for anyone else. His arrogance had wrecked her world.

The thought was like throwing a match into a pool of gasoline. Riyo bared her teeth, not unlike an animal, and attacked him again.

Riyo attempted to tackle him to the ground but Akashi evaded her making her stumble. She tried to slap him to even the score but he caught her arm before she could make contact. His grip was firm and his gaze unyielding.

"Are you done?" He arched a brow, his features contorted in disdain and annoyance.

Riyo's heart was pounding in her ears and she was still seeing red. She gritted her teeth and resisted the urge to growl. When she didn't respond, he took it as a sign of submission and released her hand. A mistake.

Riyo swung her left hand toward Akashi's chin in a punch, and almost landed it. She missed by less than half an inch as the boy took a step back. Her next attack was interrupted as Akashi took hold of both of her arms, forcing her to yield. They glared at each other and the air crackled with something dangerous, like two wild animals stuck in a cage waiting for the right moment to pounce, looking for any sign of weakness.

"Why are you here, Akashi?" Riyo asked, her voice dripping with venom.

He blinked, still holding onto her arms with a tight grip. His eyes, one orange, almost yellow, and the other bright red, flashed with an emotion she didn't recognize. When he spoke, it was with surprising gentleness, "You have to make up with Aomine."

Riyo must've heard wrong. She played his words again and turned them over in her mind. She hadn't. A sardonic laugh escaped her lips.

"You're insane."

She tried to wiggle out of his hold but he wouldn't budge. He was too strong and his grip too tight.

Akashi's piercing eyes softened a fraction. "You should call him."

Riyo's eyebrows shot to her hairline. He had to be joking. Had to be.

Only, he wasn't.

"You know, I used to consider you my friend. Back when you gave a damn about the people around you!" She was trying to pull at a thread that wasn't there anymore. Even so, it seemed to bring her some comfort. "And then you traded friends for praise and gold medals. No matter the cost, you always had to come out on top, right?" Her hands clenched into fists as the memories raced through her mind. "Well, congratulations. You won. I lost." She wanted to scream until her voice would go hoarse. "It's over. Now get away from me before I kill you!"

He didn't even flinch. Not so much as a blink. "Calm down."

Calm down? Calm down?!

It was another order he'd issued believing he was entitled to rule, believing that Riyo would just obey. But she wouldn't calm down. She refused to. If she calmed down, the anger would subside and what came after would be something much uglier and much more dangerous.

Even though it had been months since they'd last seen each other the pain hadn't vanished, and her resentment for the Generation of Miracles had only grown. The overwhelming sadness and despair that had taken hold of her when the reality of losing Aomine had hit her like a bull train was devastating enough to crush her. So, she clung to the rage that resurfaced any time she was face-to-face with the people who'd ruined her.