Twenty-One

[ Hold still ]
_____

[ Song recommendation: Shawn Mendes - When You're Gone ]

Riyo opened the envelope and pulled out a picture that had started to fade. It was her favorite picture of the three of them. Aomine was spinning a basketball on his finger, Riyo's hair was an unruly mess and she had her arms stretched out, just about to make Aomine drop the ball, while Momoi was smiling sweetly at the camera a slight blush tinting her cheeks, her pink hair up on a high ponytail.

Riyo had always thought it represented their friendship perfectly. What made the picture even more memorable were the people in the background. You could barely make out Midorima and Murasakibara arguing behind the trio with Akashi's red hair peeking in the top right corner of the frame. Akashi had his arms folded over his chest and he was rolling his eyes at Midorima and Murasakibara. On the left side of the picture, was Kise signing autographs for fangirls who had just started following him around. He'd become a natural at handling them.

"You can't block a shot from half-court! It will always go in and earn three points!" Midorima growled.

"Hmph. We'll just have to see about that," Murasakibara's tone was as uninterested as always.

"No, we will not! Even you have to admit that..."

The argument faded into the background as high-pitched squeals echoed in Riyo's ears. She glanced over to see a group of girls swarm Kise and shove a bunch of stuff, including his headshots and a few school notebooks, at him in hopes he'd sign them. The blonde looked like he was born to be a celebrity, taking the attention in stride. He was a natural.

"Hold still," Tetsuya's voice made Riyo turn back around and face the camera.

Daiki was still twisting to get a better look at Kise who was quickly becoming overwhelmed by the mob. She'd be willing to bet he was wishing he had a mob of girls following him around too. Riyo nudged him lightly in the ribs.

"Ahomine, focus!"

They locked eyes. A smirk tugged at his lips making her heart flutter.

Uh oh.

"You have my undivided attention," he said, dangerously low, moving closer to her, in turn causing her to slowly back up.

When Daiki took a quicker step to get to her, with a gasp and a shriek Riyo launched off running. He chased after her. Only a few feet away, he caught her in his arms and held her tight against his chest before running both his hands through her hair messing it up.

"Dumbass!" she shouted slapping his hands away.

He just laughed. As annoyed as she was, the sound made hiding her smile incredibly difficult.

Riyo reached over to ruffle his hair in return but he was too tall and despite her best efforts, she couldn't get him. Especially when he did everything he could to evade her, not that he had to do much. Simply tilting his head back a little sufficed. Even jumping, she couldn't have reached his navy blue hair.

"Guys! Come on! Stop messing around. I really want this picture!" Satsuki called out from next to Kuroko with her hands propped on her hips. Kuroko's mouth moved as he said something to the pinkette but neither Riyo nor Daiki heard what it was. Though it did make Satsuki blush and giggle. Giggle!

"Do you think Tetsu will ever ask her out?" Riyo asked Daiki who was watching the same scene.

They had been watching Tetsuya and Satsuki play chase ever since they'd met. She'd always been open about having a crush on him but he'd never admitted anything. Not to Riyo at least. Though, she had a creeping suspicion that he liked her too.

Aomine shrugged. "Maybe he doesn't want to wreck their friendship."

She looked up at her best friend and before she could stop herself the words slipped out, "Maybe she wants him to risk it."

She bit her lip like it would help her take the words back. Her heart was racing as she worried, her brown eyes depicted exactly how she was feeling. For a fraction of a second, his gaze dropped to her lips and her breath hitched.

Daiki bent down to whisper in her ear. His warm breath tickled her skin, a torturous sensation. "Maybe he's waiting for the right time."

Shivers ran down her spine and being so close he was sure to notice how he was affecting her. And when he leaned back a little, there it was. That smirk.

Riyo pulled him back close to her. "Maybe she's done waiting." She was surprised she got the words out without her voice shaking.

He tensed under her touch in a way he never had before. He placed both hands on her waist as she eased back a little. His gaze was so intense she almost crumpled under it and when he slightly leaned in she thought... finally.

"OI!" Midorima's loud yelp broke their bubble. "That's not how you do it!"

"Aomine-kun! Riyo-chan! Hurry up!" Satsuki rushed them dispelling the last of the pull that had taken over the two.

Riyo quickly spun around and marched back to Tetsuya and Satsuki, hoping that the heat rushing to her face wouldn't become a noticeable blush. No one else seemed to have noticed what had been going on and she would like to keep it that way.

They took their places but Daiki and Riyo were too rigid, their smiles a little wavering.

Kuroko frowned at them. "Maybe if you try a different pose..."

"Aomine!" Akashi caught their attention. "Catch!" He passed a basketball to him.

Spinning it on the tip of his index finger, Daiki relaxed. Riyo's sense of mischief returned with a vengeance and she reached out to tip it over.

*click*

A minute later the four of them were staring at the disastrous picture that in Riyo's eyes had turned out perfect. Daiki snatched it out of Satsuki's hands and slid it into his pocket.

"Hey!" Riyo and Satsuki chorused.

"That's mine!" Satsuki reminded him.

"You don't even like it," he pointed out.

"I do!" Riyo interjected. "If Suki-chan doesn't want it, I'll take it!"

"Too slow. It's mine now," he said grinning victoriously.

Riyo let out an irritated huff and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Fine," Satsuki sighed. "We'll take two more. One for me and one for Riyo-chan."

And they did. Neither of those pictures, however, came close to the first one.

A wistful smile curved Riyo's lips as she got misty-eyed.

Damn it, Ahomine.

She wiped at her cheeks and blinked rapidly to regain her composure.

Turning the picture over she checked for anything written on the back and there were the words 'He'll only stand still if you give him a ball. It will not work on her.' She laughed not knowing who'd written it. Though Tetsuya had been the one to take the photo, it didn't sound like him. Maybe Aomine's mom had gotten her hands on it, or his dad, or worse... Riyo's mom.

Riyo pulled a small folded piece of paper out of the envelope.

I'm sorry.
- D

_____

[ AN ]

Hiya, if you listened to the song... to me it's kinda like Aomine's POV before he left the envelope for Riyo. And sorry, if you got a notification and hoped for a new chapter (⌣́_⌣̀)

x Jen