Chapter 1 : Haram Training

“Just because they were gifts from your grandfathers doesn't mean my love for them isn't real.”
The Sultan announced a year and half later to his two oldest children who sat at the desks across from him in the royal chambers during their daily and appropriately dubbed, Sultan lessons.
Today's was about the benefits of a haram.

"I cherish  both your mother's equally, and all your other royal half mother's. The astronomical political benefits aside that I gained from marrying them, of which I've already explained," he continued, “they provide me with much-needed emotional support, and keen womanly wisdom. They are good, honorable women, and the love they pour onto me, I can go on to pour onto our people.”

He glanced out the window, over the palace wall and to his beloved citadel.
The love she saw in his eyes was unmistakable, and the most emotion she had ever seen on her father's face.
Today's lesson was wreaking havoc on Kallisto's long held negative opinions on numerous things, her father included.

"A haram is a necessity of any good Sultan. These marriages broker peace between nations and many other rulers have wives pregnant and contracts for the unborn child's betrothal made before said birth has even happened.
Which is smart and practical, even if some foreigners view it as unconventional. For example, I'm unsure if you know this Kallisto, but Shena's marriage in Casiem, well, that was originally intended for you.”

“I did.” She responded with a heavy sigh. The knowledge of her younger sister taking her place as the 4th wife in the Caseites King's haram filled her with both guilt and relief.
"That switch took quite a bit of haggling, and though we are in no debt to the Caseites for it, it was a show of great faith between nations, and one that I demand you remember upon building your own harems my children.

"Wait, father, you wish for me to keep a harem?" The princess asked after the class had finished and both been dismissed for the morning, her eyes wide, the idea absurd, sacrilegious almost.

"Did you expect not to?"
He looked almost surprised by her question.
“W-well, it hasn't even occurred to me.
Before today, I always assumed a harem was about sowing as many seeds into various pots as possible. As a single pot myself, capable of producing limited plants, the whole notion seems rather, pointless..."

Marriage was indeed something she wanted, but a part of her had always hoped it would be for love, like those of the peasants and lesser nobles. She wanted someone to fawn over her like she had to semi-jealously listen to Alastar fawn over Desdemona, for they had been married just last month.

"I adore your euphemisms' daughter. Quite entertaining. “
The emperor laughed, but then contained himself for what she could read by his face was going to another lecture.
"I expect everything from you that I do of your brother, and that your grandfather did of me, as will our people." He planted a hand on her shoulder, and Kallisto realized that it was the first time in her life that her father had done so.

"Your joke is correct, you are but one vessel for royal heirs, where males are many, but tradition must be followed, nonetheless. Our…" he paused for a second and then corrected himself,
"Your people, will be expecting so much from you, but with all honesty, the most they will be expecting is your failure. You must prove them wrong.”
He gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze, and she did her best to hide the waterfall of emotions her father's long unknown approval was now drowning her in. It was something she had never known she wanted.

"Due to your gender, you will have to do everything twice as well as any man, for half the respect. It shall not be given to you for mere birthright alone as it was for those before, while other Emperors have been able to simply float through their rule, conformable, and unchallenged, on their birthright alone, you will not. You will be challenged constantly by those who will take your womanhood as a threat, or worse, assume it a weakness."
He paused and shook his head.