Prologue: The Scarlett Princess

Kallisto peeped cautiously from behind a chair in her father's dimly lit war room, watching intently from her usual hiding spot as her father, his generals, and her older brother scrutinized the maps lying across the table. She knew she wasn't supposed to be there, but as usual, she just couldn't help herself. The happenings of her kingdom beyond the palace walls had always enticed her.

"The Maligyptians are advancing; we must stop them quickly, Father," Azazel, the Emperor's eldest and only legitimate son and the one-day successor, says, tracing his finger across the vast body of water separating the two nations. She pressed her body further against the intricately carved wooden chair, peeking her eyes over the top, just enough to see.

Kallisto was the oldest legitimate daughter of Gnesh, the 13th Emperor of Terzia; the dark-haired 14-year-old princess was his second child, the child of a Hersha, or the second wife in the Emperor's Harem. Though the size of the Emperor's harem was quite average for a ruler of his stature, with 5 official wives and over 30 concubines, but his brood of descendants was remarkably small. Less than 2 years after the beginning of his rule, poison from Terzia's centuries-old adversary, the kingdom of Maligypt, found its way into Gnesh's cup. The poison took the life from his seed, rendering him unable to produce further heirs. By that time, Gnesh had only fathered 21 children. Of the 21, only 6 were considered  legitimate: 2 boys and 4 girls born to his 5 royal wives. Azazel was the firstborn, followed by Kallisto, Shena, Akara, and Malia before Tash, the emperor's 2nd legitimate son, who never survived past infancy. This made his square-jawed, brash, and often selfish 15-year-old son his only viable heir."

"We must plan a means of defeat, before they reach the mainland." Answered the Emperor, stroking his gray beard. Aster quickly took in every piece on the map, an idea hit her, and she couldn't help but gasp. Immediately, every dagger in the room was drawn. In an instant, a general had grabbed her by her hair and threw her at her father's feet.

“Girl, how dare you stow away in our father's war room like a spy for the enemy!” Her Brother shrieks angrily down at her.
“Silence please Azazel, I will handle this.” Gnesh says to his son.
"Daughter of my Hersha, what are you doing in here?!" He questions his second child sternly.
"Call for her mother." He orders his nearest general.
"Baba I am so sorry for my mischief, I was only curious. " Kallisto answers humbly, keeping her eyes downcast.
"You had better be sorry. What do you think you are doing hiding around in my war chamber like a thief in the night?" Kallisto, his meek and shy daughter, remained unsurprisingly silent.
"Answer me daughter!"

"I was concerned about what was happening on our battlefront. She stuttered in response. Immediately, every man in the room burst into laughter.
"What were you thinking, child?!" General Hars, her father's second-in-command, gasped in amusement.
"Oh please, sister, all you women are concerned about is scented oils and braiding your hair. Matters of war are never of concern to any girl," Azazel shook his head.

'This nation is very much my concern, brother, as it is yours,' the usually quiet girl raised her lanky figure from the floor, standing up straight despite her fear, while keeping her eyes respectfully downcast. 'I will accept whatever punishment you deem fit, Father, but I must admit to you that this isn't the first time I have done this,' she clenched her fists to stop the nervous shaking. 'Such insubordination! Where is Alastar? Why is he not preventing this behavior?' her father grumbled, scanning the room for her bodyguard, chiding himself for allowing a youthful and non-eunuch to be given a position in the royal harem guard, just because he was highly skilled, and his father was a friend.
'You sent him to drill the new guards this morning, father,' Kallisto said. The door opened and her mother barged in. 'Husband, you have my humblest apologies for the conduct of my daughter...,' her mother started but Kallisto wasn't listening, for her arm had been firmly grasped by her already absurdly muscular brother. 'You are just a silly girl, unable to understand the complexities of war,' her brother whispered to her amidst her parents' discussion. 'Have you figured out how to stop the enemy yet, Brother?' She answered back through a practiced face that was void of emotion, trying hard not to shiver. 'Not yet...' He admitted. 'But that is none of your concern.' 'I have,' the princess spat back under her breath, the meekness she had just displayed for her father gone from her voice. 'What did you say!?' His eyes flashed, but the shy girl couldn't answer. Immediately, both the King and his Hersha turn to him.
"Do you have something to say, Azazel? I am speaking to your half mother!."