✩ Sirius ✩

Sirius is looking intensely in the mirror, carefully doing his eyeliner. His heart is beating fast in his chest and his stomach is flipping over and over.

"I hope he likes what I'm wearing," he says to James, looking at him in the glass.

"He will!" James says as he buttons up his shirt. "Lily said that he's just as nervous as you are."

Sirius nods and sits back, admiring his work, making sure it is even. He then checks his newly painted nails and smiles to himself.

"Do you think Rem'll want to dance?"

James sighs and attempts to tie his bow tie but fails. "Maybe mate but can you quickly help me with this?"

Sirius spins around in his seat and sees how badly James has tied his tie. He nods and does it for him, glad to be focusing on something other than his thoughts about Remus.

"Where're you meeting Lily?"

"I said I'd meet her down at the Entrance Hall," James says and pushes his glasses up his nose then looks in the mirror once Sirius completes the knot. "Thanks mate!" He slaps him in the back.

"Watch my outfit!" Sirius says and spins around in the mirror, shoving James out the way who chuckles.

"It's fine!"

Sirius pouts then checks his eyes one last time before grabbing his Docs and pulling them on, tying the laces up and using his hand to make a perfect shine.

"You done yet?" James says impatiently as he holds the door open.

Sirius rolls his eyes and stands up then makes his way to the door, shaking slightly with nerves or excitement or both.

"Calm down Pads," James says and starts down the stairs to the common room.

Sirius sighs and follows him down. "How d'you expect me to calm!?"

James is already at the portrait hole. "Hurryy!"

Rolling his eyes, Sirius walks across to the door and steps through it and James is off again, striding down the stairs.

"C'mon little legs!" He calls over his shoulder at Sirius.

"Hey! Don't call me that!" But he realizes it was to get him to speed up because now he's rushing down Gryffindor tower and towards the main staircase. "Twat!"

He hears James laugh then an 'oof- sorry!'

Sirius' steps quicken and he rounds the corner to find James helping a first-year to his feet.

"Sorry," the small boy squeaks, looking up at James. "I was trying to sneak into the ball."

James raises his eyebrows and glances at Sirius who knows there's a plan coming.

"You still want to go?" James asks him.

He nods excitedly.

James whispers in the boy's ear and then he runs off towards a secret passageway.

"Gotta encourage the next generation of lawbreakers," James says as he straightens his back and pulls Sirius to the top of the Entrance Hall stairs and a sea of people comes into view.

Towards the edge, he can see the familiar bright red hair of Lily Evans and the tall boy with golden curls standing next to her.

Sirius is taken aback as he gazes down the stairs to the boy at the bottom. He is speechless - again.

James glances at him, his eyes bright and a wide smile on his face. Then he looks back down the stairs and starts to walk down to a grinning, beautiful Lily.

Sirius remains at the top then he notices hundreds of eyes on him and he feels stupid and flustered. This was a bad idea.

"Sirius!?" A confused, high pitched voice behind him draws his attention away from the crowd of people. Marlene stands in a blue velvet suit, hair pulled back into a long bushy ponytail.

"Ooh look! They've swapped their outfits." Someone from below them shouts, people either laugh or start arguing. Sirius ignores them.

"Who's your date?" He asks.

"Dorcas."

Sirius smiles and glances back at the crowd.

"Yours is Remus, isn't it?"

Sirius nods and sees Remus staring up at him, his mouth open. He gulps as he feels Marlene's small hand in his and she pulls him down the stairs, an air of confidence surrounding her, which soon radiates into Sirius.

✩ ☽