Episode 11: Shelly's Trial

I really didn't want to come back here, was all Shelly could think

I really didn't want to come back here, was all Shelly could think. Repeated over and over, and somehow it was the only thing not driving him crazy. The walk from the village to the Greenhouse Palace felt longer than the trip through the sea, perhaps because of the sun setting, or perhaps because he had only done it twice before now and wasn't used to it.

Now, him and the group were gathered in the throne room. The wait was excruciating. He couldn't formulate how this was going to go or what to say once the group found out the truth about him. The soldiers watched them diligently the whole time.

"So, you gonna tell us what's going on or what?" Ruby finally asked, giving Shelly a prod. Just that tap made him squeak and flinch. "Uh..."

"S-sorry," he replied, playing with his paws.

"Silence, males! Not a word from any of ya," demanded a Sceptile as she prodded Ruby with her lance. Ruby growled at them, but Lucca settled her down.

"I'm not a boy," Ruby grumbled.

"Neither am I. That means they're not talking to me, right?" Esther asked. The Sceptile prodded her with their spear, making her squeak. "Okay okay, I get it."

"Just behave," Crystal grumbled and rolled her eyes. Mimia whined with her.

I can't mess about. I need to do this the way Ruby taught me. I have to convince Gladys this time, Shelly sighed. Just then, the throne room doors opened, and everyone turned around.

"Where is he? Bring him forward!" Queen Gladys ordered the moment she marched through. She went to her throne and knelt in front while the guards made space for Shelly, who nervously waddled forward. The moment she saw him, her eyes widened, and then settled.

"Huh?" Shelly said. Gladys certainly didn't look as he remembered. The Tsareena appeared as refined, tough, and grand as ever, yet the tone of her voice and the way her eyes shook felt different. He felt an aura of relief from her, the same kind one has when they've found something truly important to them they thought they had lost.

And strangely, that was even more fear-inducing than the build-up to this confrontation.

"Shelly... it is truly you. Ah, and you're okay. You're okay, aren't you? Ah, you're not hurt or hungry or thirsty?" Gladys asked, gasping between words. "Ah, I shouldn't overwhelm you. Ye've been away for a long while. I can only imagine what you've been through. You don't need to tell me anything if you don't feel like it."

"Great. They sound just like Shelly," Ruby groaned.

"Whoa... their accents are so strong," Crystal commented.

"What does that mean, though?" Lucca asked.

"Uh," Shelly replied. Gladys stood up and addressed at her soldiers.

"Well then? Don't just stand there you cabbages! Go and issue the orders. The prince is back. Get the chefs cooking, recover the search parties," Gladys commanded. She looked down at Shelly. "You must be starving. We'll make you your favourite apple curry, and then you can rest easy in your room. We left it same as before, so you can do as you want in there."