Episode 23: The Definition of the Shining Warrior

Vilé was considerably more convoluted than even some mystery dungeons

Vilé was considerably more convoluted than even some mystery dungeons. Streets weaved in between buildings, shops, and other streets, but were only wide enough for a single Snorlax to wade through. Elevators and stairs were required to reach everywhere in the city, and there were so many signs that it was difficult to figure out how to get anywhere. Rather than having a line of shops on a single road, instead the shops were on different levels of the same building, meaning that lifts and stairs were required to access different facilities – each street only had one or two shops. Signs and maps constantly contradicted each other by leading to stairs or pointing to the same buildings.

Thankfully the city wasn't busy. There were enough Pokémon to fill the air with the usual hustle and bustle of a busy town, but it was a far cry from Girage Field's moderated pedestrian traffic. Something about the foggy distance made everything feel cold, but the dark combined with the neon lights and metallic sky to make it all feel alive. This also made it impossible to tell the time - all the group knew was that after their round of stocking up on necessities, they were worn out and ready to turn in.

Zangoose directed them the whole way with pure patience, finishing at the accommodation he promised earlier. This section of the city was high up, away from the commercial district, and quiet. A single structure was long with two floors, and lined with doors and staircases. Lucca started growling when he saw Zangoose heading straight for it, and grabbed his pigtails. "Hrrg, why does it always have to be stairs?"

"Lucca, are you okay?" Brine asked.

"No, I'm not okay. This entire freaking city is just stairs! If I have to climb another one, my flippers are gonna fall off," he threw himself back to the floor.

"Geez, get up. You being whiny about stairs isn't that cute, you know," Ruby commented.

"Good. I don't want to be cute," he replied.

"Too bad, you don't get to decide that. Now get up," she groaned. He gurgled and waved a flipper up, so she started to drag him along. "You're gonna hit your head if I drag you up the stairs, you know."

"This guy sometimes," Azu shook her head and palmed her face.

"These are empty rooms you can use to sleep in. They should have everything you need. There are no plans to use them anytime soon, so feel free to share or keep a room to yourselves, if you'd prefer," Zangoose informed.

"Whoa what, we get our own rooms? About time!" Ruby cheered, dropping Lucca's head on a step.

"Oh right, for some reason I forgot you used to live alone. I didn't think you liked it, though," Crystal cocked her head.

"Nothin' against you guys, but sometimes a girl just needs some time to herself, y'know? Have you never felt that?" Ruby said smugly.

"I don't feel anything, Ruby," Crystal replied.

"You're annoyed at me there, so clearly, ya do," Ruby snickered. She skipped up the stairs and picked a door at random. "I call dibs on this one!"

"Why that one?" Brine giggled as the Cyndaquil ran in and slammed the door shut. She waited for a reply, but none came. "Yeesh, she's weird. If we're done here, I'll hit the hay, too."