CHAPTER 10

Kim volunteered to drive and I allowed her. She started the engine, pulled out from the driveway, and knocked out a few trashcans while reversing the car.

   "Do you want me to drive?" I asked as I clutched the seatbelt.

   "No. It's just an accident. People hit trashcans once in a while, no big deal," I could hear her press the pedal to get us there faster.

   I literally held onto anything I could in that car while shutting my eyes. My heartbeat was faster than the Nissan itself. She could be a race car driver one day if she wanted to. After a few minutes, we reached Grace's neighborhood. The streets were like a ghost town, but there were some people in the parking lot nearby Grace's apartment.

   I got out of the car first and Kim followed me from behind after she locked her Nissan. She wanted to check on Grace first, so she ran inside. I picked up my pace, but my shoelaces were untied. Grunting, I crouched down to reach for the laces; this is the reason why I want leather boots but they're expensive. I got back up and stretched my back until it made cracking sounds. It felt good, though.

   The corners of my eyes caught something odd; a woman stared at me like I was some kind of criminal. I turned my head in her direction to ask her why, but I decided not to do that. My gut said it was the worst thing I could do. I walked straight ahead with hands crammed inside my pockets, trying to ignore her, but other people there had their eyes on me too. They whispered something to each other and stepped back. They also exchanged glances with each other.

   I thought there was something on me, so I reached for my phone and used the front camera as a mirror. Nothing. I glanced back to see if there was anyone behind me. Nobody. I clenched my jaw while scowled at those people. Suddenly, a guy grabbed my arm from my left and pulled me toward the building. His grip was firm that I couldn't do anything about it.

   "Didn't your parents tell you how rude is it to stare at someone?" he yelled as he glared at those people. His grip got stronger as we walk past them.

   "Why are they staring at me like that?"

   "Maybe because you're not from this neighborhood, so they're being careful. I heard most people here are moving out. Maybe those guys are doing it too. Don't worry, I'm getting you inside the building. Visiting someone?" He said in one breath with his deep voice.

   I nodded without saying anything. I couldn't form any sentences in my mind as I was focusing on walking faster.

   "Are you going to tell me who is it?" he leaned forward and whispered into my ear.

   "Grace Evans. She's my friend."

   He released his grasp from my arm as he stopped in his track. His beautiful sable-brown skin shone under the sun, making me stare at him with my mouth open. His eyebrows knitted together as he titled his head to the side like something was in his mind. His piercing blue eyes stared right into my soul, making my stomach go wild. His ringlet hairstyle acted like curtains, covering his eyes.

   I walked forward, but I was too busy staring at him until I walked straight into the glass door. I fell on my back while grunting. Ouch! The pain in my back. I shut my eyes as I bit my lip, trying to not scream. He gasped and helped me get up. He literally lifted me like a feather.

   "Is there something wrong?" I asked as I brushed the back of my pants to get rid of the excess dirt with my hands.

   "Nothing. Just ignore people who stare at you." He snatched my hand, checking my palm and brushing excess dirt off them. Then, he led me towards the elevator.

   I stepped in and pushed the button. Luckily, I know which floor it is, I thought to myself. That guy waved as he walked away from me. He didn't even tell me his name, then he just left me like that. My mind kept thinking about those people outside staring at me. I mean, it's understandable to be scared at a time like this. Of course, they're suspicious of people who are not from this neighborhood. My ride in the elevator was filled with cheeky, annoying music.

   The elevator door slid open after a 'ding' sound. I got out of there and searched for Grace's apartment. She told me a few months ago and I remembered it. I knocked on the door, soon, it opened.

   Grace stood behind it and peeked outside. "Come in. Kim's already here." She opened it wider for me to get in but she stayed behind it. I was afraid the door was going to hit her.

   I saw Kim on the couch with a bag of chips in her hand, shoving and munching on those salty chips. BBQ flavor, her favorite.

   "Kim, you're not supposed to eat a whole bag of that. You'll have trouble sleeping at night and probably headaches," I advised her.

   She pouted and put it away on the table, sulking but managed to lick her fingers clean. As long as she cleaned her hands after doing that, I'm fine with it. Trust me, after years of being friends with her, I know how nightmare it is if she can't sleep at night.

   The air inside that apartment was a bit breezy. I found myself constantly rubbing my arms. I looked at the air conditioner; it was off. Maybe the weather was the reason why.