•Prolouge• Little Princess

Ten year old Princess Karhryn wandered around the castle, searching for something to do. She had finished reviewing history and grammar with her tutor early, and both her parents were tied up in their royal affairs and meetings. She was always second to the kingdom in her parents eyes. Though sometimes she was resentful, Kathryn understood that all the people of the kingdom were like children, and needed the King and Queen far more than she did.

So she simply wandered the castle until she came upon a room that her mother spoke of frequently. Her mother called it "the library". Kathryn had always wondered what a library was. When she pushed opened the old wooden doors, a loud creak echoed through the room. She gasped.

Row after row of books! Books of all sizes and shapes, of every color and probably every genre. She loved when her mother read her stories, and she loved it even more when Miss Lillian, her tutor, brought her books she could read on her own. Why on earth hadn't anyone told her about this place? It was heaven in her opinion.

•••

Queen Catherine smiled as she walked into the royal library. She inhaled deeply, smelling the wonderful, indescribable aroma of books. She wandered shelf to shelf, tracing a finger over each lovely book spine, before she came across her daughter, who was sitting under a window, totally engrossed in a novel.

Her smile became a little forlorn. These days, when Maelden was facing a possible war on multiple fronts, she felt like she hardly had any time for her little baby. It was even worse for her husband, King James. Poor James was even busier than her. Catherine looked back to her daughter, wishing she could be a better mother.

As she sighed, Kathryn looked up and beamed. "Mum!" The little princess exclaimed, setting down her book to leap up and hug the Queen. Still holding on, Kathryn told her,"I was reading about the Faerie wars! Did you know women fought in them? Did you know the royal family of Dwolle is part Fae? And so are we! And--"

"Kat dear, I'm sorry to interrupt, but Daddy and I need to speak with you, alright?" Said the Queen. Kathryn's smile widened. Now she could see father as well.

Grabbing her mother's hand, she replied,"Of course mum, lead the way."

On the way to the council rooms, Kathryn told her mother about the book she had been reading. "Mum, there were Knights and warriors! A quarter of the fighters were girls! Queen Valeria, my great great great great great grandmother, led the Maelden Fae! Do you think I could be a great queen, mum? And..." Kathryn continued rambling on until they reached the mapping room, where James was waiting for them.

When the Queen and her daughter walked in, the advisors and nobility standing around one of various maps turned to them and bowed. The king smiled.

"Leave us!" Called the king in an authoritative tone. Everyone rushed out of the room, except for an embassy from Nydriar. The Nydrian ambassador smiled slowly, and gave a late bow. Kathryn shivered. That man was creepy. It may have been his tall and skinny figure, or pure white hair, but when he smiled, Kathryn couldn't help but feel as if something was off. Without saying a word, he slipped out of the room like a snake.

Her parents didn't seem to notice the odd feeling, so Kathryn kept it to herself. Her father gave her a tired smile, and Kathryn ran and embraced him. Queen Catherine glided over and gave the king a quick peck on the cheek before sitting down at the long table in the middle of the room. She rubbed her temples, looking exhausted. The king also sat down, looking a little sad.

Kathryn, realizing that there was something not being said, crossed her arms. "What is it?" She asked.

Her father looked up at her. "You are...quickly...um...approaching the...uh...age..." He looked at Catherine for support.

Catherine just sighed and said,"What your father means to say, Kat darling, is that you are quickly approaching the age that you will be betrothed." Kathryn's mouth dropped opened. The Queen continued, "In order to secure your rule, bolster the people, and support your right to the throne, you must marry." Catherine hated herself for having to do this to her daughter. She was too young to bear the weight of the kingdom.

"I thought I wasn't betrothed until sixteen?" Kathryn asked.

"Yes," replied James "but--"

"Then we have six more years, I'm perfectly fine!" Kathryn snapped, her voice cracking. Even though she knew it was necessary, Kathryn did not want to discuss this now.

"In the next few years, we want you to meet possible suitors," the Queen said, her words soft and comforting, "so you aren't marrying a complete stranger."

Kathryn gave a curt nod, saying, "I think I will retire now. Goodnight." She left the room quickly, trying to keep her face a mask, as she was taught, when she really just wanted to cry. It was so unfair. People believed that princess's were spoiled brats, and many were, but to be a true princess was to sacrifice all one had for her kingdom. Kathryn knew this, but it weighed heavily on her young mind. She didn't want to believe that she wouldn't find love like the characters in her mother's stories did. She didn't want to believe that she had to give up some part of herself in order to accept her birthright.

•••

A/N: Hey! I'm Juli Monae and I just want to thank you for even bothering to glance at this story. Writing is new to me, so feedback and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. And don't forget, if you like the story, please hit that little vote star! If you don't well...constructive criticism!