01 | Chapter One

BREWER'S WAS A quaint tea shop located in the heart of Los Angeles

  Foressa had discovered the shop purely by chance when she had been wandering around the city one day, desperately home-sick and craving for an authentic brew of traditional Chinese tea. It was then that she stumbled upon the tea shop providing a versatile range of Chinese-drink delicacies. Quickly, it became akin to a second home for her.

  Foressa glanced up at the pedestrian light, tapping her feet against the ground. Still red. She shivered; the weather was particularly frigid today. In a decisive manner, she coiled the jacket around her tighter in a vain attempt to preserve the warmth her body emitted. The cold still snuck its way past, an unwelcome visitor creeping into her bones.

  After a pregnant pause — and under Foressa's scrutinising eyes— the light finally switched to a desired green. With a cursory glance to both sides of the road, she shoved her hands deep into her pockets and crossed, inwardly cursing Candance for making her walk in the ludicrously cold weather.

  If she caught a cold, or worse, hypothermia, she knew who to send her medical bills. Huffing in annoyance, Foressa recalled the ambiguous phone call that had transpired earlier. Candance had remained vague concerning the details but insistent that this was a discussion that needed to be done 'as soon as possible'.

  Upon spotting the familiar signage, Foressa hastened her pace. The prospect of a thermal radiator in the shop practically had her drooling.

  The one-storey lot's exterior walls were painted an ombre style of green and yellow, embellished with an automatic sliding door. Strangers often passed by without a second glance, its generic appearance unappealing to them. However, that was what made it all the more special in Foressa's perspective. One tended to appreciate the beauty in things more if they were left to one's own discovery.

  An audible sigh of relief expelled itself from her as the automatic doors shuttered open, engulfing her in warmth. For a brief moment, she allowed herself to stew in the warm, friendly ambience. Chatters surrounded her, her ears perking up to catch snippets of conversations that didn't quite make sense without context.

  She embraced the confusion, knowing that was the beauty, the principle, of life. Foressa considered the snippets like puzzle pieces; some didn't fit together and not every puzzle piece was meant to be understood by one single person. 

  It applied to several circumstances in reality, too. Some people just weren't meant to be together, and no matter how hard one tried the piece would eventually be disposed of and find its place in a different set of pieces.

She swallowed a lump in her throat, shaking her head clear. Foressa stopped herself before she could venture into dangerous territory.

Spying Candance already comfortably seated at one of the lower private booths, she jogged up to said booth, sliding in with ease.