03 | Chapter Three

TIME AND TIDE waits for no man

  TIME AND TIDE waits for no man. And in this predicament, aforementioned abstract forces were personified into the being that was Foressa's manager.

  Candance was ridiculously quick on her feet.

  No more than an hour after she had ended the call, Foressa received a carbon-copy of an email reply to Blake Tan's proposal. Candance had constructed a concisely-worded email requesting for a contract and further details regarding the world tour.

  Based on her speed, it was clear that she had feared Foressa's fickle-mindedness would result in a quick renouncement if she dwelled any further on the subject. She wasn't wrong; Foressa was highly likely to have done that on any other occasion but in this instance, Candance needn't have fretted for Foressa valued Lara's company far above petty pasts.

  On the same day, Foressa received another carbon-copied email— accompanied with a fastidious twenty-paged contract.

  Foressa scrolled through the attachment, eyes tracing each and every condition thoroughly. Her facial expression was the epitome of focused : creased eyebrows, twitching nose and pursed lips.

  The contract was divided into five sections, namely regarding living arrangements, destinations for the world tour, rules and regulations expected of her as an artist, a non-disclosure form and promotional events. It was followed by an unending litany of subclauses.

  She whistled chancing upon the sum bolded in brackets next to each destination which symbolised her earnings. The hefty sum was definitely no cheap expenditure for their label.

  Not that the obscene number would make a dent in their bank accounts. A large proportion of the promised payment would be covered by the various sponsors and tickets purchased by their supporters; labels were conniving liars in that sense.

  With elaborate words and gestures, they made it seem like a dream materialising into reality but, it didn't take long before the 'other shoe' dropped. Stricter rules, more demands, more pressure.

  And with that came the final stage : disillusionment. But by then, it was too late. Bounded by what they had signed on the dotted line, most were unable to escape, finding themselves sinking deeper into the pit of despair.

  It was why Foressa wasn't signed to any particular label, instead choosing to abide only by Candance, the option of which gave herself increased rein over her own music.

  The coveted dream eventually winded up being the shackles that tied down the aspiring artists.

  Foressa frowned to herself, shaking her head; she was getting carried away. It wasn't always as bad as she made it out to be, she just had her own vendetta against labels.

  And whose fault would that be? A voice inside her head crooned. She scoffed aloud, causing Candance's eyes to flit up to hers.

  "Hm? You saw something you disagree with?" Candance arched a brow, interpreting Foressa's scoff as one of dissent.