Chapter 6: New Friend

Authors Note: Alright, so I did end up changing the tags again. Just watch out for those and I also realised rather belatedly that the tags I used isn't tags that are used by the community as a whole.

From The Willow.

#####

I am a coat that can only be put on when I am wet.

What am I?

########

His stomach grumbles loudly, echoing in the near-empty streets and off of the buildings. 

Kakashi's head tilts down to stare at his belly, Naruto was sure that the man was amused, and Kurama? Well, he was laughing rather loudly. 

Naruto wanted to pout, it wasn't his fault that he hadn't eaten anything yet! He had just been on his way home when he had been waylaid by the hound ANBU. 

"Why don't I buy you some yakitori, hmm?" Kakashi offered up, immediately Naruto opened his mouth to agree but shut it quickly wanting desperately to slam his head against the wall. Why was he so agreeable so suddenly?!?!

He had never once in his previous life accepted food from a stranger no matter how well he thinks he knows that person! And here he was almost agreeing. 

Naruto narrows his one visible eye and scowls at the man. 

"Why would you buy me anything?" He snaps rather harshly and recoils as if slapped, his eyes widened comically as he realized that he was being very mean. The ANBU stares at him for a while, his body perfectly still, like a statue. 

It felt, at that moment, as if he was being studied carefully under a magnifying glass. 

And he did not like that feeling at all. 

Kurama huffed softly. 

He won't hurt you, kit. The nine tails said softly. Naruto blinks and looks away fidgeting before quickly rushing past the ANBU, only for a strong arm to wrap around his middle, jerking him against a hard chest and holding him securely there. 

"I am an ANBU of this village, I would never hurt you for any rhyme or reason. Not even if it was an order, I promise. Now may I get you some yakitori?" The man asked after lowering the boy onto the ground and spinning him around to face the hound's mask. 

Naruto stares silently at the covered eyes of the man, wondering if he should or shouldn't trust Kakashi's words. 

He looked down, he'd never been bought anything, except yesterday when jii-san had come over with groceries for him. But that didn't really count, he hadn't had much choice in that. That had felt more like a gift mixed with an obligation than anything else. 

This felt like someone reaching out to him in hopes of getting to know him, to protect him, to care for him. 

And unsurprisingly he didn't know how to react. Naruto balled up his fist, grows furrowed. He had enough, for once he was going with his heart and not his mind. The boy inhaled and looked up. 

"Okay, buuuuut!" He held up a finger eyes glittering with mischief. The ANBU leans back and watches him. 

"Yes?" 

" You cannot pretend to be a stranger when I call you hound without that mask on!" Naruto says determinedly. 

Kakashi twitches.