Chapter 3

Today is the day. Everyone has been dreading today since we learned about the games. Whoever gets chosen will fight to the death until they win. It's a do or die situation. I hope I don't get reaped. I've been having terrible nightmares about it. Even if I do get reaped I made sure no one would volunteer for me. I don't want anyone to face that fate. I especially hope Camilo doesn't get picked. My family would go even more insane than they already are. Everyone was scared but they had no control over this. It was our life now. There was nothing we could possibly do. Me and Camilo got dressed and headed outside to sign in. I put my name 11 times because I agreed to get us tesserae. My family can at least not go hungry. I knew it would mean my name goes in more but it was worth not having my family starve. We all lined up by age. Oldest in the front and youngest in the back. The woman who would draw was from the Capitol. She had golden stripes painted all over her body and wore a decent orange wig. She had a red dress that sparkled in the sun. It was the best looking thing on her body. My Abuela was the district mayor since we originally ruled the town. They didn't let us live with her though. She read the speech the Capitol gave her and introduced the Capitol lady. Her name was Claudia Whitlock.
"Welcome everyone to the first reaping of our brand new, District 14!" She said enthusiastically.
"This is going to be a great hunger games especially with two more tributes in the arena. Our usual 24 has moved up to 26! Let the reaping begin!"
                I held my breath as she reached hand into the jar. When she pulled the paper out I could only cross my fingers and pray that the name wasn't mine. She opened the paper and began to read.
"And our female tribute is.... Mirabel Madrigal! Come on up Mirabel."
                Oh no. This isn't happening. I felt my face begin to burn up but I couldn't cry. I walked slowly onto the platform and looked around for my family. I saw my mother crying into my dad's shoulder. Isabella looked horrified. Luisa was trying to run onto the stage but was being held back by my Tio Bruno and Tio Felix. My dad was giving a solemn look but showing no emotion. I looked back at Camilo. He was on the verge of tears.
"Let's give it up for our first female tribute from District 14!" said Claudia happily into the microphone.
                 Silence. There was only silence. No one was happy. How could they be? All they felt was fear. I knew I may never come back and they knew it as well. This could be the last time I ever see my family and home.
"Now it's time to choose our male tribute"