The Facebook Post

//As said on the cover page, this is my true story. If anyone has any questions or wants to reach out to me, feel free to do so. I just ask that if you don't have something nice to say, then don't.

So in moved to Maine back in 2017 to be closer to my girlfriend who lived in New Brunswick Canada. Originally I planned to try to move in with her there, find work, and eventually get citizenship there. But I was to young and naive back then to realize that moving to another country wouldn't be that easy.

I laugh at myself now, but back then I was serious. So after going across the Canadian Border I was granted 2 months to visit. I didn't have much of a plan for where I would go after the 2 months were up. I had no money, no car/vehicle; I took a Greyhound bus to get here. So I ended up at at youth homeless shelter in Bangor Maine. I wouldn't stay there long tho. I moved into a small town close by named Brewer only two weeks later when I got a job there and a fancy hotel/motel call Vacationland Inn.
I started working there around early-mid October as the Breakfast room attendant on Saturday, Sunday, and Mondays. The other four weekdays I worked in housekeeping for the same hotel.

My girlfriend got to come visit me a few times over that winter. I remember seeing snow for the first time, it was beautiful, but boy was it cold. I grew up in Texas, so I'm used to 110 degrees Fahrenheit on a summer day maybe some icy patches in the winter. But the blizzard that came threw that year had snow higher than my waste, and piles of snow reaching way over my head. Was like a winter wonderland. Not gonna lie, I'm not as much a fan of the snow now as I was back then. In reality, it makes getting around a lot harder, and there's no point in going to parks or doing most outside activities. So I spent most of my time working my ass off, trying to save money so I could move to a town closer to the Canadian Border.

Around end of December to early January I decided it was time. I got on Facebook and joined a few groups for in the town of Calais. I posted a few paragraphs about my situation, and that I was hoping to be relocating there. I explained that I either was looking for a roommate or cheap rent.

Not long after I got a reply from a guy who said that he had a 4 bedroom home that he had bought for real cheap do to it being foreclosed. He explained that he lived over an hour away, so it was hard for him to make time to work on this project versus the other projects he had closer to him. He said that it was really run down, and he had a lot more to do before he could rent it out. He offered to let me live there for just paying the bills to live there, and paint/do other small projects. Of course I was careful, probably not careful enough. I looked over the guys profile, he had a family, and overall seemed like a decent guy. He was probably in his 40's, and not that it should matter, but his last name was German, and he had a strong German accent. Honestly I thought it was cool because my mother is German and I took her maiden name Reichardt.

After sending me lots of pictures of the house and talking about it for awhile, we scheduled a meet up to look at the house and make sure all would work out.
Everything seemed great, I mean how often does opportunities like that just fall into your lap. So I eventually decided to move in on February 18th 2018. I had been talking to my brother about how I was about to have a 4 bedroom house all to myself before I actually moved in. I asked him if he wanted to come up to Maine and move in with me. Even tho he was still all the was in Texas, he immediately started planning his trip. I remember thinking that this would be the answer I was looking for, I thought I could have it all.