I : New World

I sat down under a tree, protecting myself from the sun

I sat down under a tree, protecting myself from the sun. It was a hot day, just like any other since I crashed on this planet. The plants were dry in the sunlight and full of color in the shade, just like how I initially reacted to this world. Thankfully, I learn to adapt fast and it wasn't an issue for long. It has been around a week or two of almost non-stop traveling and I was exhausted, hoping to find signs of life other than small critters scurrying in the forest. I felt like I should've found humans or any sort of smart creatures by now but nothing. The animals I was able to see were avoiding me, which was understandable for my appearance. I didn't bother to hunt the animals just yet, I barely had enough energy to walk let alone hunt.

I sat down to rest for a minute, watching the world around me move at it's own pace. A grey striped bird landed a few inches away from me, not seeming to notice my presence. I considered what I should do and decided against hunting once again, instead standing up and continuing my march to civilization, scaring off the bird as I did so. Before long, I found myself walking towards the edge of the forest, signs of a small village starting to appear as wooden buildings I could see past the trees. Soon, I made it to a clearing. Trees still surrounded me but there was also a small village with many wooden buildings and a small old wooden fence lining the main areas of the village.

I slowly made my way to the buildings, hoping to find someone to speak to for possible assistance or help. I learned a bit about humans before going on this trip - it was even required to learn one of their main languages, English. My native language is very different, unspoken by humans but so old that other natives on this world may know it. I would need to know English, however, so that I could speak to them in case of an emergency, and this was an emergency.

I found my way in the village, walking along the main road. Dust and dirt covered the ground that I walked on, some sticking to my body. Not a single soul could be found outside, the only sounds I could hear was wind blowing through the grass and trees. I heard the sound of a door slamming shut nearby, but when I looked, I couldn't locate which home. One small human, which I could assume was a child, was staring through a dirty window at me, only to be stopped by an adult human swiftly shutting the dull curtains. Another human opened their window and threw something at me. I couldn't tell what it was, but it passed through me like a rock passing through water. I looked up at the human, who was staring at me with unspoken shock and horror before swiftly shutting the window once again, disappearing out of view. I sighed; I expected this reaction from humans but I was hoping for at least one kind group to help me. As I slowly made my way through the town, looking for a way out, more humans threw objects at me. Some were heavy enough to pass through but others were so light that they stuck to my slimy skin. I didn't feel much pain, but after a while I felt mocked and stupid for even thinking that these humans would feel empathy.

As soon as I saw a gap between two homes leading into the forest, I ran for it. Outside, I found myself behind the homes, making my way into the forest and continued to walk until I was sure I was safe. By the time I did, I saw a beautiful cottage with flowers growing on the outside and vines growing on the perfect wooden walls. I went to a nearby tree that was covered in bushes and hid. It was a tight fit but I was built to survive almost anything, so I closed my eyes and found myself drifting off.

	Another week and a half had passed since the unknown figure in the sky exploded and, I could assume, landed nearby

I didn't know what to think of it. Part of me wanted to go and seek the debris, to see if anyone - or rather, anything - survived the crash. Yet, another part of me told me to stay. I still didn't know where it was, if it was dangerous or not. The fact that no fire has shown signs of being in the forest is a good sign, hopefully the little debris I saw land was nothing.

With that thought in my mind, I decided to stay where I was, taking care of myself and Simon. It isn't my problem.

Something was off with how the rest of the town was acting. I continued doing my daily tasks, paying no heed to what the villagers were doing. They never really cared for my presence since I moved, so why would I care about theirs?

I shifted the crate's weight in my arms, trudging towards the marketplace. Simon followed my trail, stopping for a moment to stare at the forest. Taking no notice, I set down the crate onto the wooden stand and clapped my hands together, getting rid of any dirt that escaped from the crops. Only then did I realize the shop owner wasn't there. I glanced around and huffed, marching over to his door and knocking three times.

The scrawny old man cracked open the door, eyeing me. "What do you want, youngin?' he grumbled. I shuffled my feet and looked away from his glare.

"Crops," I replied quietly, "I'm here to sell my crops." Simon pressed his body against my legs, prompting me to pick up the feline and hold him close. He scoffed, shutting the door for a moment before it opened again. Now holding a notepad, the man shuffled out to inspect the supply. The white cat in my arms meowed and pawed my shoulder, looking at the forest. I shushed him and walked to the man, watching him mutter and scribble down things on his notepad as he picked up the food.

"More than usual," he hummed, nodding his head. He picked up a bundle of corn wrapped in thread and glanced at me, awaiting an answer.

"Summer has been plentiful," I said nonchalantly. I looked around the rest of the houses as he arranged a price in his head while scribbling down words in his notepad. I figured this was a good time to ask about the sudden emptiness of the town. "Is there an event?"

"Hm?" he looked up at me, frowning in confusion.

"No one's outside."

He paused before shaking his head, slamming down a pouch of money. "Stay inside, kid. Don't wander." I narrowed my eyes at his warning, ignoring it and taking the pouch. Dipping my head, I returned to the cottage with my small fortune, the warning in my head.