Chapter 3: Coffee

When Megan arrived home from the audition, she didn't realize she was still smiling like an idiot. She pulled out the piece of paper and set it down on her nightstand. She took a deep breath trying to relax herself. She opened up her laptop and checked her email. She saw a new one sent from Rebecca. It read: Congratulations Megan! I knew you would get the part. Here's the time and place where you have to be at for the first day of shooting. Good luck.

The first day of shooting was next week. The anxiety already setting in for her. Then she remembered the coffee meet-up tomorrow. That stupid smile crossed her face again.

*************************************

The next day dragged on. Megan constantly thought about when she would get a text from Jai. The work day was slow which didn't help her anxiety. But just as she went to go on break, her phone buzzed. It was from the exact number Jai had given her the day before. She smiles brightly as she seen the message. It read: Hey Megan, it's Jai. The guy who promised you coffee. Meet me at the Starbucks on the corner of third and fourth street.

It was a good thing she had an hour break and that Starbucks was only a block away from the salon where she worked, because she would never make it on time. She grabbed her purse and walked out of the salon and to the coffee shop. The wind blew harshly making the temperature colder than it actually was.

Once at the shop, she opened the door and fixed her hair immediately. The wind blown look wasn't her thing. She scanned around the tables, looking for a familiar face. Before she could finish looking at each table, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to meet the blue eyes she was looking for. His short, slicked back, dark brown hair contrasting nicely with them. His profound, square jaw was covered in a short, scruffy looking, beard. Before long, she was blushing.

"Oh! Jai, you scared me." Megan managed to say looking at him in the eyes.

"I didn't mean to scare you." He laughed softly with a small smile. The corners of his lips wrinkled. "Care for a coffee?"

"Uh..." She trailed off, not really paying attention to what he said. She was preoccupied by him. His body, that is. His biceps were clearly defined under his red flannel shirt, accompanied by his broad chest and a leather jacket. She then nodded. "I'd love one. Thank you."

He nodded back and went to the counter area. Megan took a seat at one of the tables beside the window that looked into the passing city life. The sunlight shined just enough to warm the area. Jai came back to the table shortly after carrying two cups of coffee. He sat down on the chair across from her and passed her a cup.

"Is it always cold here?" He joked as he looked out the window with a smirk.

Megan chuckled lightly and shrugged some. "Mostly, yes."

"It never gets this cold down under." Jai said referring to his home country, Australia. He then lifted the cup to his lips and sipped the hot beverage.

"Australia, right? Your accent kinda gives it away."

He nodded, not wanting to speak with his mouth full. He then swallowed and spoke. "Yeah. It isn't too obvious, is it?" He smiled again.

"No. Not at all." She couldn't help but smile back at him, holding the warm cup between her hands and lifting to her mouth to take a sip. She talked soon after.

"So, did you get a chance to explore the city?" She asked curiously.

"Actually, no. It seems like a great city though besides the weather." He smirked towards the end. It seemed he liked keeping a humorous atmosphere. A light atmosphere. Comforting.

"Well, how about this weekend I show you around. Starting early with breakfast." Megan smiled at the idea hoping he would take the offer.

"Really? Are you sure you aren't busy? I don't want to intrude on anything." He asked, his accent making it sound extremely innocent, like a child who has done something wrong.

"You're not intruding. I'd love to show you around." Right at the end of her sentence her phone goes off. It was her alarm telling her that her break was over.

"Shit! I'm so sorry, I have to get back to work. I'll text you after my shift is over." She said apologetically as she stood up, grabbing her purse.

"No worries. I'll take you on that offer then, if you don't mind." He stood up also. "Mind if I walk you back?" He asked.

"Uh...no. I guess not." She said a little stunned by his question.

He then gestured for her to lead the way, as he opened the door for her, the wind immediately hitting them as they walk out.

Several feet down the sidewalk, goosebumps form on her arms, Jai noticing all too well. He slipped off his jacket and placed it over her shoulders.

"You seem cold. I don't blame you." He smirked as he walked beside her.

"Thanks, Jai." She smiled back at him and gripped the warm jacket against her. It smelled of worn leather and deodorant.

He nodded to her as they soon arrived at the salon, making it back just in time.

"Oh, I almost forgot your jacket."

"Keep it till this weekend. I'm putting my trust in you." He smiled widely and laughed. "I'll talk to you later."

"Bye, Jai and thanks again for everything." She said sincerely.

"No problem." He put his hand up as if saying goodbye. Megan waved her hand as she smiled back, opening the door to the salon and stepping inside.