Arm in a Sling

Eric showed up to work one day with his arm in a sling.

'Whoa, what happened to your arm?' Callen asked.

'Oh, I was involved in a fight. And I hurt my arm in the process.' Eric replied.

'Huh. It's a bit weird to picture you in a fight. Was it a bar fight?'

'No. A couple of old baddies of mine were having a brawl, and I unexpectidly got involved. I have to get upstairs.'

Later that day, in OPS

'I'm hearing the story of why your arm is in that sling. That was very, brave and stupid?' Nell said.

'I didn't mean to get involved in the brawl, but I was shoved from behind, and that's how it started.' Eric replied.

'Did you fight back at least?'

'Oh yes. A few jabs here and there, a few kicks even.'

'Well, I'm glad you're okay.'

Hetty's office, evening

'You wanted to see me, Hetty?' Eric asked.

'Yes, I was concerned about your arm. How did it end up in that sling?' Hetty asked.

'I broke it in a fight.'

'Really? Then, why aren't your knuckles more bruised?'

Eric knew he couldn't lie to her, so he decided to tell her the truth.

'Sigh. Okay fine, I didn't end up in a fight. I slipped in the kitchen and I hit my arm in a weird position. And I was too embarrassed to tell the truth because I thought I'd be laughed at.' He said.

'Oh. Well, you're going to be okay, right?'

'Yes.'

'That's all I needed to know. You may go, Mr. Beale.' Hetty said.

'You're not going to tell the others, right? Because I'm a bit worried of what they might think.'

'Your secret's safe with me.'