2 | Espresso Macchiato

Saying that she was upset would be an understatement. Saying that she was angry with herself would be an understatement.

Adaira had committed a mistake. A big one. She was dusting her house when she had accidentally knocked her potted plant off the shelf. She was convinced she saw the pot turning into ruins in slow motion and before she could catch it, there was soil and broken pieces everywhere. Great! More work and a beautiful pot gone. Her day could not have been better.

Adaira was a young woman of age twenty-two, with ivory skin and brown expressive eyes. Her light brown hair was, for the majority of times, tied into a braid. A literature student, she also loved plants a lot. Another love of her life, except Literature, was coffee. Nothing like some good brew to calm the nerves. Hence, she found herself on a not-so-fine Sunday afternoon looking for some potted plants in the market.

She was so engrossed in choosing plants that she had not noticed the sky turning gloomy. The clap of thunder startled her. She almost dropped the newly purchased plant. She could not afford to maintain plants if she kept dropping them at this rate. She was about to go home when she noticed a coffee shop nearby. It was offering a discount on ristrettos and espresso macchiatos as a Sunday special.

She ordered an espresso macchiato and sat at the table beside the window. While sipping on it and admiring the race of the raindrops, she noticed a newspaper on her table. It was opened at the page with the crossword. Her eyes sparkled and she pulled the paper towards her. On it was scribbled one answer with a pencil. She started to look at the other clues.

 She started to look at the other clues

To extract revenge. The word should start with a 'v'. Oh! Vengeance! This was easy. She took out her pen and wrote the answer. Onto the next clue.

One who's moves are decided by music

One who's moves are decided by music. Dancer? But it doesn't fit the number of boxes. What could it be? She pulled out her phone and decided to search it, but backed out last minute.

Adaira had always been a competitive person. Even though in the present situation, she was not in a competition with anyone, she felt like the crossword was mocking her for not being able to solve a clue by herself. She started to think harder.

The second letter should be an 'e' and the word had to be of ten letters. What could it be? One who's moves are decided my music... so it means that the person loves music. A lot. What is the lover of music called? Melophile? Still doesn't fit. Wait... There was another word for it. It started with an 'm' too. She took a big sip of her espresso macchiato and decided to cool down. Puzzles cannot be solved without being calm. Suddenly, she remembered the word. Melomania! Melomania...melomania...melomaniac. Melomaniac! It had ten letters and the second letter is an 'e'. She filled the boxes with the correct answer.

She looked at her wristwatch and decided she should leave soon

She looked at her wristwatch and decided she should leave soon. With a sad face, she folded the newspaper neatly and kept it back on the newspaper stack.

The old lady behind the counter smiled.