chapter 9

*Semi edited.

When I get home I go up to my room to get the last of my things.

"How'd it go" Mom asked from the doorway.

I turned around to answer her question and she wrapped her arms around me.

"It's going to be ok honey" She said.

"I know. It's just hard."

"It always is, but just think of all the new experiences you're going to have and the new people you'll meet" She said.

"Yeah that's true."

"Come on you two, we have to get to the airport!" Dad yelled from downstairs.

"Ok baby, we're coming" Mom yelled back.

I grabbed my bags and we went to the car. The ride to the airport was quick and luckily we got through TSA in no time. Luckily we got our seats all together, us kids in one row and mom and dad across from us. At one point I fell asleep during the flight and when I woke up we were touching down in New York.

When we got off the plane the first thing I felt was the temperature difference, it was warm out, but not the heat I'm used to feeling at home.

This will definitely take sometime getting used to.

We got into our Uber and made our way to the apartment which luckily was a half hour away from the airport.

You don't realize how much you'll miss home until you go somewhere that's a total culture shock for you. No palm trees, sweltering humidity and barely anyone is friendly, just a bunch of tall buildings and busy streets and lots of honking from the cars in traffic.

When we pull up to the apartment we all grab a box and make our way up to it. My roommates sent me a key so I could get in because they said they had work, but they'd be there later.

I unlock the door and we all go inside, it's a cute 3 bedroom 1 bath apartment open floor plan with the kitchen and living room.

"Wow this is nice" Mom said.

We brought the rest of the my stuff in and then we went to grab something to eat, we ended up getting pizza and man is pizza better here.

After lunch they hung out a little bit then they had to catch their flight back home.

"Ok guys, we better get going" Dad said.

Charlotte says goodbye first, then Ace, then my dad comes over to me and he already had tears in his eyes.

"Aww...dad" I said hugging him.

"Sorry, I can't help it sweet pea" He said kissing the top of my head.

"I'm going to be ok."

"I know, it's just hard for a parent to let go. You be safe and if you need to talk or you miss us, give me or your mom a call" He said.

"Ok I will."

"I love you sweet pea" He said.

"I love you too dad."

He pulls away and goes over to my mom.

"I'll be in the car" He said kissing her cheek escorting my siblings to the car leaving my mom and I.

I'm not sure who cries first, but we both wrap our arms around each other.

"I'm so proud of you honey" She said.

"Thanks mom" I sniffled.

"If you ever need me you call me no hesitation, ok?" She asked.

"Ok."