˗ˋ 87

CHAPTER EIGHTY SEVEN

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH THE PARTY BEGINS

. . .

It was safe to say that the dinner party that Mrs Weasley had put together in celebration of Ron and Hermione being named as Gryffindors' newest prefects was needed. The tension hadn't disappeared from Harry's unwelcome feelings over the course of the afternoon, and after spending the majority of a month in the grim interior of Grimmauld Place whilst meetings to combat the return of a deadly wizard took place, people needed to let loose a little. And the party provided just that.

Following Mrs Weasley's arrival back from Diagon Alley, laden with many copies of the same books and a brown-paper wrapped parcel that could only be one things - Ron's new broomstick - the group of teenagers had made their way downstairs and into the kitchen, which was where the party was to be set. However it didn't quite look like the dull, barely-lit room it usually was; a description that didn't fit the room during meal time, when it was alive with the chatter of the many residents and the glow of various candles. 

Instead, it had been decorated in celebration of the two prefects. Mrs Weasley had hung a scarlet banner over the heavily laden dinner table, which read 'Congratulations Ron and Hermione - New Prefects!' in large, bold lettering, and several other banners and scarlet and gold bunting around every possible surface edge - including the cob-web-covered chandeliers. 

"I thought we'd have a little party, not a sit-down dinner." The mother told Jane, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, and Ginny as they entered the room. "Your father and Bill are on their way, Ron, I've sent them both owls and they're thrilled." She added, beaming. Hermione was awaiting her letter back from her parents, but he knew the sentiment would be the same.

Fred rolled his eyes, clearly not happy with this outcome. Jane nudged him, shaking her head. The Weasley stared at her for a moment before sliding off towards George, and speaking to him rapidly. They were planning something, but Jane didn't exactly know what. Instead, her attention was taken up by the electric blue fake eye belonging to Mad-Eye Moody, who was perhaps one of the magical people she actually felt a little nervous around.

Mad-Eye was making his way in behind them, joining Sirius, Remus, Tonks and Kingsley. "Here." Harry smiled at her, holding out a goblet of butterbeer. She sipped on it graciously;  it might be a little too sweet in large quantities, but as of now, it was everything Jane needed and more. "He isn't Barty Crouch anymore, you know." The Potter added in a low mutter.

"What?" Jane blinked. "Oh - no, I know he isn't. I've just... never met anyone like him." Harry hadn't really noticed this before. Jane had never been wary or nervous around anyone, but it appeared there was an exclusion to this rule.

He shook his head, slowly returning lengthy-hair falling in front of his eyes as he reached down with his spare hand and took her's. She smiled at him before they found themselves slotting into a corner, overlooking Mrs Weasley as she hurried over to Mad-Eye.

"Oh, Alastor, I am glad you're here." She announced brightly, as Mad-Eye shrugged off his traveling cloak. "We've been wanting to ask you for ages - could you have a look in the writing desk in the drawing room and tell us what's inside it?" A wave of her wand saw his cloak floating through the air and up into the hallway to hang. "We haven't wanted to open it just in case it's something really nasty." It had brought their cleaning escapades to an instant stop, it was that nervewracking.

"No problem, Molly..." Moody's electric-blue eye swiveled upward and stared fixedly through the ceiling of the kitchen."Drawing room . . ." He growled, as the pupil contracted. Jane stared, transfixed by the sight "Desk in the corner? Yeah, I see it... Yeah, it's a boggart... Want me to go up and get rid of it, Molly?" 

"That's a shapeshifter, right?" Jane checked with her boyfriend. "The one that changes into your greatest fear?" He nodded sagely, sipping on his butterbeer and trying not to think of Dementors.

"No, no, I'll do it myself later." Mrs Weasley beamed. "Youhave your drink. We're having a little bit of a celebration, actually." She gestured at the scarlet banner. "Fourth prefect in the family!" Molly added fondly, ruffling Ron's hair, who tried to duck out of the way too late. 

"Prefect, eh?" Moody's voice came out more like a growl than anything else, his normal eye on Ron andhis magical eye swivelling around to gaze into the side of his head. Harry had the very uncomfortable feeling it was lookingat him and turned towards Jane, shuffling them closer towards Sirius and Remus, who were in a similar position to Harry and Jane. For some reason he didn't doubt that they were holding hands behind the several layers.

"Well, congratulations." Moody continued after a beat, still glaring at Ron with his normal eye. "Authority figures always attract trouble, but I suppose Dumbledore thinks you can withstand most major jinxes or he wouldn't have appointed you..."

That comment seemed rather alarming to Ron, who looked rather startled at this view of the matter but was saved the trouble of responding by the arrival of his father and eldest brother. Bill smiled in Jane's general direction - they had bonded one evening over her extensive knowledge of Ancient Egypt - as he was overwhelmed with greetings.

Mrs Weasley was in such a good mood she did'nt even complain that they had brought Mundungus with them too; he was wearing a long overcoat that seemed oddly lumpy in unlikely places and declined the offer to remove itand put it with Moody's traveling cloak. Jane didn't appear to like him much either - but at least there was someone who fit his story-like name perfectly. Unlike Fudge, who had been a major disappointment.

"Well, I think a toast is in order." Mr Weasley began, when everyone had a drink. He raised his goblet. "To Ron and Hermione, the new Gryffindor prefects!"  

Jane and Harry followed suit and repeated the murmur of congratulations. Harry might have felt bitterly disappointed earlier that day, but that wasn't going to stop him from finally acting like a good friend once he got the chance to that evening. With Jane by his side, he knew it was possible. But he didn't know what he would do when she wasn't.

It may only be a day away, but Harry couldn't stop himself from pushing it from his mind.