Prologue

A/N

Both a prologue with an explanation of (Y/N)'s past. Enjoy!

Please point out any spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes and I'll fix them asap!

(Y/N) first transformed into her red panda when she was 13, same as her younger sister, Mei. And for similar reasons too. Ming, the sisters' mother, always put high expectations on both of them. Always wanting them to achieve the highest mark, nothing below 100%. While Mei only wanted her mothers approval, (Y/N) couldn't stand all her flaws being constantly pointed out, while her success was ignored. And although it seemed like her mother watched her like a hawk 24/7, she still felt neglected.

At 13, year 8, she felt like the pressure had officially gotten to much to handle. She started to get mental breakdowns almost every day. But she always tried her best to hide her emotions. But it wasn't long before hiding her emotions became too difficult. She had to let them out. And it seemed to her that the universe let her do just that.

~

One night, as another panic attack was taking place, (Y/N) cried silently, not wanting to alert or wake anyone up. Her body started to shake and her skin felt a pins-and-needles sensation all over, which didn't normally happen during her nightly freak outs. Confusion was added to the situation while the crying subsided, but the panic remained when a giant puff of pink smoke surrounded her as her body expanded. It felt like her panic faded, just slightly.

(Y/N) took a deep breath and sat up in her bed, after the wood holding up the mattress snapped in half, and her butt fell straight through. She quietly yelped and looked around her bed. But her skin caught her attention. Or, more accurately, her... fur?

(Y/N) was now covered in shades of red and maroon. Dark red swirls decorated her fluffy arms, and her tail. She lifted herself out of the broken bed and stood. Before she could reach her full height, she bumped her head on the ceiling. Without making a sound of pain, she held her head with her eyes shut tight. Luckily, the confusion and excitement distracted her from the pain.

Were those... ears on the top of her head? What was happening to her? Why was this happening to her? (Y/N)? Of all people? And more importantly, how would she change back?

She tried to think without freaking out, which was undeniably impossible to do. (Y/N) was a giant red panda! Who wouldn't freak out?! So she took deep breaths to calm herself down, and decided to take a minute to soak it all in.

She observed every part of her red panda body. Her claws, her tail, and when she looked in the mirror, she noticed how scary she would look to others. She had sharp teeth, redish brown eyes that seemed to glow steadily, and her fur looked shiny in the moonlight that shun through her window. Although she was studying a face that was clearly different from her own, she could still see herself. And in some ways, (Y/N) could see more of herself in this version, than she did in her human version. She smiled.

Then... POOF!

Pink smoke surrounded her once more and (Y/N) fell to the floor with a light THUD. She looked back at her mirror and saw herself, but as a human. But this time, her hair matched the colour of her panda's fur. Although she was excited about her hair change, which she decided to deal with later, she was upset to see the panda go. Wondering if it would return. She began to panic again, this time, out of confusion. Seconds later, the pink smoke returned, and so did the panda. (Y/N) laughed quietly as she tried to contain her excitement.

Then she started thinking. Was this how it worked? Did it change depending on her emotions? That was all she could decide on at that moment.

She couldn't show her parents, that's for sure. And definitely not her friends, what if they freaked and ratted her out? But, what about Mei Mei? Could she show her panda-self to her sister? She trusted her, no doubt about it. Probably more than anyone. But she was still young. What if she got scared and told their mum?