~ten~

The castle's guards were more akin to teenagers with big dreams than properly trained swordsmen. A boy with messy black hair and red-brown skin stood at the door, a crudely made iron sword at his hip. He couldn't have been over the age of seventeen.

"Hello, I'm here for a meeting with Philza?" I greeted, trying my best to sound jovial and not scared out of my mind. I don't think I succeeded.

"Your name?" The boy asked, a glimmer of suppressed mischief in his eyes. This was the face of a boy who was still hopeful, still optimistic. A strange hurt grew in my chest. This could be me, I thought.

"Lorelai," I said simply.

"Wait right here. I'll go get Mr. Philza," he said and entered the castle. As I stood I let my mind wander. There were stories and legends about Phil, ones that probably deserve a book of their own. There were also old wives' tales about Callista, the fair queen of Helia. For some reason unbeknownst to me, Callista was never courted until a certain pink-haired warrior came along and saw something in her that no one else had. That doesn't make much sense to me, since Queen Callista is perhaps the most beautiful woman on this side of the ocean. But then again, who am I to argue with history?

"Thank you for waiting. If you would please follow me." The boy came back and led me into the castle. Right when we walked in I was greeted by a very large portrait of what I could only assume was the royal family. Prince Ranboo sat on the silver throne, and Callista and Techno stood behind him. In a smaller frame was a portrait of Ranboo and Melanie, with a baby girl sitting on Melanie's lap. The girl had the same complexion as her mother, but her eyes were a startling violet. That must've come from her father.

Eventually, we reached a heavy-looking oak door, which the boy knocked on almost hesitantly.

"Come in," Phil said from inside. The boy pushed the door open and led me inside. Phil was sitting at a desk, papers were strewn about everywhere. There were exotic artifacts on shelves all around the room, and a large window lit up every corner.

"Good afternoon," I said amiably. He gave me a weary smile and then turned to the boy.

"Thank you, Finch. You are dismissed," Phil said, and the boy left. "Ah, Finch is a lovely boy. He looks up to Techno more than even Tommy does." He chuckled a little. "I'm sure you're curious why I sent for you."

"Yes, sir."

"Please, Phil is fine. Have a seat, won't you?" He gestured to a velvet armchair that was surprisingly clear of paper. Tentatively I sat down, and the cushion barely gave way underneath me. If someone heavier were to sit on it, I'm sure it would be soft to the point of discomfort.

A pause of silence.

"Would you like some tea?" He asked, standing from his high-backed chair. His large black wings stretched out behind him, blocking out the light from the window. The nature of his stretch was like how someone would stretch their arms after they woke up from sleep. Who knows how long he had been sitting at that desk.

But even still, the sight of the black wings brought back the rush of memories from that day in the cove. I was young, so young in fact that I still believed I would see my parents again. He had come out of nowhere seemingly, and his eyes pierced through my very soul. I was mortified. But he was older now, and the cold brilliance of his cornflower-blue eyes had mellowed out to something that was far more akin to a fatherly gleam.

"No thank you," I finally replied, using as much etiquette as I could remember. He half-smiled as he poured two cups anyway. Somewhere above us, two violins sang out together, muffled by the layers of stone and wood between us. Vaguely I remembered that Queen Callista used to play the violin.

"I've called you here today to discuss my son," he said as he sat back down, sliding the second cup of tea across the desk to me. He paused, awaiting a response.

"I think it's a little strange that we would talk about him in his absence," I said honestly. Phil chuckled, a strange look in his eyes.

"Would you rather discuss him while he's in the room?" He asked genuinely. I couldn't detect any malice behind his words. "We could always talk about you first."

"I am not comfortable with gossip behind Prince Wilbur's back."

"He is my son. None of what I would say is gossip." Something violent rippled beneath the surface of his skin before disappearing as quickly as it appeared.

"I don't see how I am involved in any of this," I protested. "Yes, I've known of him for years, but I am not as close to him as I'm sure he would have you believe."

"Lorelai." He reached over the table as if to console me. Panic bubbled in my chest. "I'm sure tha-"

"Don't touch me," I said with much more force and volume than I expected. My body heaved with the frequent breaths I was taking and my hands shook. Some things never change. His hand froze midair and fell back down to his cup with a tired thud. Everything about him radiated exhaustion.

"My son has nightmares. He has voices in his head, and he's lonely," Phil said, moving to the next subject. "All I ask is that you would be gentle with him. Nothing more."

"It sounds like you're trying to rope me into a situation I have no business being involved in, sir," I said curtly. I owed this man nothing. "You should take him to a specialist." A flash in his eyes.

"Of course. I apologize for worrying you with this. You are dismissed." He waved his hand vaguely. "Oh, and if you see Thetis, tell her I would like to arrange a meeting with her. She hasn't been responding to my letters," he added. I nodded, stood, and left the old man at his desk, my cup of tea growing cold.

The ocean was cold against my legs as I dove into the surf. Daphne was quick to meet me with Natsu, her eyes glimmering.

"Something happened. What happened?" She asked, her voice a welcome change from Phil's. "We saw you on the dock talking to the sheep halfling and the prince and-"

"Do you know where Thetis is?" Her face fell slightly as I ignored her questions. "I'll fill you in after I speak to her. The Angel has a message," I scoffed a little. Daphne nodded and led me to Thetis' chamber. It was an intimidating thing, really. An underwater cavern that glowed with amethyst, filled with the pair of abnormally large axolotls and their accommodations. Thetis was sitting on her throne, gazing at me with her cold black eyes.

"What do you need, Lorelai?" She asked, her voice like waves on a rocky shore. I suppressed a shudder.

"The Angel wishes to arrange a meeting with you. He said he has tried reaching out to you but has gotten no response," I said calmly. Her skin rippled in the way that gods' skins do when they are angered. Immediately she stood, standing four or five heads taller than me. She often does this when she's irritated.

"I will not give him a warning. You are dismissed, child." And then she was gone, disappeared into the current.

I turned to Daphne, who had watched from behind the wall.

"Ask Apollo to have mercy on our souls."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well I've done did updated the old Amphitrite book lmao

I've done some rethinking about where I want this story to go and hopefully this means I'll be inspired to write more aha

Remember to drink water, eat food, take meds, get sleep, and do your homework if you're not on spring break right now!! I love you all and I'll see you precious little crystals in the next chapter :D