Six

They continued down the hall for what seemed like forever, until Lily finally stopped them. The room was over furnished, and filled with bright and beautiful baubles that had absolutely no use. A large, full length mirror adorned one wall. The frame of the mirror was covered in precious gems. What a waste. The mirror alone would have cost a small fortune. She opened another the door, waltzed in, and sat down on one of five chairs that were around a small glass table. On the table was a little bell, and Lily rang it. A maid, who had apparently been cleaning, she stepped out and curtsied.

"How may I be of service, ladies?" She chirped.

"Bring us the finest wine from the kitchens!" Lily snapped,"Bring five glasses as well! And be quick about it!" The maid scampered off.

Fyra hid her surprise. Why had she yelled? The maid would have done what she asked either way.

As if reading her mind, Lily told them,"My parents always told me to be strict with servants. They said to make sure they know that you are the one in charge." This made no sense to Fyra, but she didn't offer her opinion on the matter.

The rest of the girls sat down at the table. Fyra was sitting to Lily's right and to Maybelle's left. The empty chair between Lily and Kimberly was clearly for Cirian. No more than five minutes later, the maid came back with a tray of little sweets and a bottle of wine. A scullery maid held five gleaming glasses. They set everything down, and the maid poured them each a glass, including the glass sitting in front of the vacant seat. Lily motioned for the servants to leave and they scurried off hastily.

"Finally!" exclaimed Lily. "Now we can talk." Clearly by "talk" she had meant "gossip." Fyra groaned inwardly.

Lily took a sip from her glass. "So, you all, with the exception of Fyra, were invited here by Queen Isabella, Prince Cirian's stepmother. She is trying to find a bride for him." She asserted. "I think she wants him to choose from the ladies she's brought in. And we need to make sure it's one of us." The tone in her voice made it clear that she meant it should be her. Fyra didn't like the direction this was heading. The pompous Lady Lillian as a Queen could be disastrous, though Fyra had no doubt that Cirian could keep her in line.

"He is so handsome!" gushed Maybelle. "And those eyes! Gorgeous!" She blushed. "But I don't know about being a queen." Lily rolled her eyes. Maybelle was sweet and genuine, but so naive.

"Puh-lease. We need to focus." remarked Kimberly. Maybelle took a sip of her wine, looking embarrassed and slightly flushed.

Kimberly turned to Fyra. "We think that we need someone to put in a good word for us. Someone that is a friend of the prince." Fyra's stomach sank.

"Unless... You two are..." Lily said, raising her eyebrows, "more than just friends."

This was the point when she established if Fyra was a threat. Lily didn't care for the prince, but she wanted the crown. The reserves of wealth and power that the boy held were limitless, and she could do anything as Aceria's Queen. And The Master would be very pleased. If Fyra and the prince were involved...she was going to stop it, by any means possible.

Fyra blinked. She had never thought of Cirian in a romantic way. Not much at least. But remembering the image of his face, his eyes that were icy and piercing yet held endless warmth, and-- She barley knew him for gods' sake! She did not, could not have any sort of feelings for him.

"We are just friends." She confirmed firmly, hoping that her voice didn't shake as she spoke.

Lily regarded her. She seemed like she was telling the truth...but something didn't add up about her. And she needed to know what.
She opened her mouth to say something just as there was a hasty knock at the door.