‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Home of the Nexels ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

The rustling eventually came to a stop right in front of you, blocking out some of the neon lights that were barely shining onto the small space you came to know for only a few minutes. You started to slowly back up, still facing towards them, trying to feel your way away from them, unsure of whether they are friend or foe. As you started to move away from them, a light seemed to come from out of nowhere, hidden behind the figure's cloak. You realized that it was the cloak that kept them nearly-invisible in the area. The light was coming from a bunch of mushroom-like plants growing from inside a glass casing, lighting up the area brightly.

From the light, you can clearly see that you were in some kind of forest clearing, though it was different from what you were used to. The shell-stalks are the stems of giant trees, but the canopies seem like they weren't made out of leaves. Your eyes wandered back to the figure holding the lantern and saw a strange creature standing before you.

They had the soft cheeks of a young adult, but their ruby eyes held a mature mystery. They stared down at you with furrowed brows, confusion and concern on their face. They hesitated for a few minutes as they observed you, their eyes moving up and down, scanning you. It seems that they were as scared of you as you were of them. They opened their mouth to speak, revealing the sharp fangs protruding from within, but all that came out was gibberish. They spoke in a quick tongue, yet their voice was gentle. There was clearly some meaning to their words, but you're unable to understand.

"U-Uh...listen...I don't really...know what you're saying..." You struggled to speak. None of your social experience from before could have prepared you for this.

The human-like creature before you stopped speaking and looked around. After a few seconds, they crouched to the ground and held out their hand to you. The skin on their hands melded into black, like their hair, at their fingertips, with the ends as sharp as claws. However, their palms were wide open with no intention on using any of the claws they had. Resting in the center of their palms were a few golden orbs. They had a faintly sweet scent that wafted towards you and they glowed with a soft hue. 

You were injured, so you had little options. But, seeing as this creature's intentions were gentle, you took the orbs from their hands and held them lightly. They felt like slimy eggs, but their scent was more tantalizing as you held them up to yourself. You looked back towards the figure and they gestured their own hand to their mouth, opening and closing their mouth repeatedly. 

You ever so slowly moved the fruits to your mouth and chewed on them. As soon as they touched your tongue, your senses were filled with sugary flavor. They were comforting, and you relaxed a little as you bit down on them. They popped under even the slightest pressure, and the sweetness grew stronger. You felt your body relax. Although your body still ached from the fall, you had healed slightly.

"Does that feel better...?" The figure asked, speaking a language that you understood. The gentleness was still evident throughout. 

"Yeah, I- wait..." You paused for a moment. "You- You can talk...! I can understand you...!"

"Yes. Those are fruits native to the Xnthazos region. They are helpful for learning the Nexel language. Though...you do not seem like any of the other creatures that live in other regions. Your skin looks so soft...and you are quite small." 

They leaned in slightly, sniffing you and continuing to speak. "Your eyes and skin are too...colorful. You do not blend in too well. Even I could spot you. Very strange..."

You laughed nervously, trying to lighten the mood. You were still wary of the claws, so you leaned a little away as they leaned closer. "W-Well...that makes two of us, am I right? You're...v-very...not human, so..."

They tilted their head. "Hu...man...? Is that what you are? How curious. You are...frail-looking. You seem to be hurt, as well. Here, let me look at you."

They tip-toed a little closer to you, reaching out. Though they were less dangerous-seeming than before, you were still terrified of their claws. You closed your eyes and braced yourself, but you felt a gentle touch on your arm, with them lifting up your sleeves and patting you ever so softly. You barely felt a prick or a scratch as they patted you up and down. Every now and then, however, your body jolted as they touched the place where you had landed. They retracted their hand and nodded to themselves.

"You are definitely hurt. In one spot. No one was around...so this means that you came to be like this by yourself. How did this happen...?"

You paused for a moment before answering, "I...fell. Out of the sky."

"Sky...? What is...'sky'...?"

You pointed upwards. "Sky. As in the place where all those stars are?"

They looked up and smiled slightly. "We do not know what...'stars' are. Such a strange word. Those we call Lurials."

"Lurial...?"

"They guide us around the region. They are the brightest source of light, and sometimes one will drop down from above to us to give us light." They looked back down to you. "Then...Lurials are known as...'stars' to humans...? How...interesting."

"W-Well...that's what we call them where I come from."

They put a finger under their chin, thinking for a moment. "Well...all the Lurials that descend upon us are never usually alive and talking like this. This must be some kind of sign. Or fate. Here, as introductions are usually necessary, please tell me. Human, what is your name?"

You hesitate for a moment, but decided that you would give them whatever name you deem necessary for them to know. They seemed satisfied with this. "That...is a very unique name. I like it. It rolls off the tongue when I speak, in a strange way." 

They smiled widely. "I am called Bryxel, of the Xnthazos Nexels. You are near my home, not too far away. I can bring you there to aid you with your wounds. If you cannot walk, then allow me to carry you."

They extended a hand to you once again, this time with more communication between you and this creature. Your legs still feel weak, this is true, but you seem to be able to have more mobility to you after talking with them. 

Your move?