Chapter 10

2 days after Taehyung's 'resignation', I found myself at Mr. Hoon's private residence, and a tall, slender lady with a Western accent, appointing me as the Minister's official compiler- just what Taehyung had been. It was mostly a replay of all that had happened with Taehyung. Ironically, we never knew what had become of him, neither did we know what destiny has in store for me. It's surprising that Mr. Namjoon allowed me to come over here without any proper planning.

He is trying to save the NIS at all costs.

As a matter of fact, he didn't have any other options. The mission was illegal, and no one except me, Taehyung and a handful of other officials, knew about this.

"You'll be able to crack the password containing the documents better than any other agent. Taehyung is better at playing his role as an undercover agent, but I really don't know what they did to him", he told me the previous day.

Clara Rossaire, as I learnt was the lady's name, was Mr. Hoon's secretary. She had a friendly yet professional nature, but I felt uncomfortable in her company whenever I realized that the same person had shown Taehyung into his work room, as she is doing with me now.

After explaining the basic terms and conditions and the fact that I wasn't supposed to keep in touch with anyone outside the house till I finished my task , for the hundredth time, she finally left.

I locked the door and looked around. Was this the same room where Taehyung had stayed? Where is he now? Is he even alive?

I went over to the PC. I needed to confirm. I bent forward and carefully examined the USB portal. Sure enough, there was the communication chip connected to it. Taehyung had been here. In this very room. Then again, where did he disappear?

I dropped down into the chair and tried sending a message to the NIS operating base to check of it was working or not. It was. The message could be sent alright. Then where the hell was the problem?

A possibility flashed across my mind. Without wasting a minute, I started typing a program to track the IP address of the receiver. Within a few seconds, the results flashed up in the screen. It wasn't something I had expected.

The IP address did not belong to the NIS.
I could tell that from the code itself. Then who received Taehyung's actual messages? Who was the one sending those creepy riddles? Back at the NIS, I had tried tracking the IP address of the sender but failed to do so. The server from which we had been receiving the messages was untraceable. Yet I could trace the one to which Taehyung's messages where misdirected.

And then I realized. The realization made me feel sick. The person behind this not only knew that Taehyung was an undercover agent, but also knew that he was not the hacker. That person knew that I would try to track him down and that's the reason he secured the other end.

I felt sick of the entire business.

I felt sick of breathing.

And then I realized. I felt sick because of breathing. There was something in the air. It was suffocating and had a tangy, toxic smell. Breathing it made my throat go dry and my head feel heavy. The windows were all sealed- soundproof and 'sightproof'. I never had any asthma problems so it seemed strange that I should have such breathing problems in closed rooms.

I decided to go out and get a whip of fresh air. Maybe I could also ask someone to arrange for some ventilation in the room.

I unbolted the door and tried opening it. The door didn't budge. I tried again. Same results. A shiver ran down my spine. They locked me in?

The air inside the room kept getting heavier. The tangy smell becoming too prominent to avoid.From where was the smell coming?As I looked around, my eyes fell on the air conditioner. I went over and tood directly below it. Sure enough,the
air conditioners were the source of the smell or gas or whatever it was. My head spinned. I dropped down on the bed.
I could see in front of my eyes what had happened with Taehyung. I pictured him being gas-poisoned  to death in this closed room. The NIS would never know. This can't be. I tried getting up only to drop down onto the bed again. I felt like throwing up. I laid down. It felt better. I could feel my eyelids getting heavier and my mind getting clouded. I couldn't think anymore.

This wasn't meant to be.