Chapter 2

Nariko woke early in the morning with a rolling stomach, her mouth sour as she rushes to the bathroom, feeling guilty as she throws up what was left of dinner last night. The bubbling and gurgling noises seemed deafening, the small woman groaning in protest. When she was done, a knock sounded on the door, her brother worriedly waiting on the other side.

"Are you alright?" he asks lightly, waiting for her to open the door for him. Nariko fumbles with the handle, her face pale as she opens it for him. "Just morning sickness, I promise," she breathes, feeling a little less sick to her stomach. Tetsuro kneels beside her, offering her a cup of water. "Drink, you'll feel a little better after," he says, handing her the cup.

Nariko takes it from him, pressing the cup to her lips as she slowly swallows the cool liquid. After a moment, she lets out a sigh. "Thanks, I really do feel a little better," she smiles halfheartedly. After a second, she frowns, noticing how he was dressed. "Are you going somewhere?" she asks curiously. He offers a wry smile. "I have to go in to work. Are you going to be okay here by yourself?" he asks worriedly.

"Yeah, go ahead. I'm fine. I just need to unpack the rest of the bedroom and then I can chill out for a while," she tells him with a small smile. "If you're sure. Bokuto should be back in a few hours. He's at the gym with some of the team," Tetsuro tells her, not looking any less worried for his younger sister. 

"I'll be okay. I'll have to be alone at some point right? Might as well start now," she shrugs, giving a laugh. "If you're sure then." Tetsuro stands, feeling slightly guilty. It was barely light out, and already, he had to leave. "I have to buy groceries later, but there should be enough to make omurice or something of the sort," he tells her, looking down at his watch.

After a few more words of assurance, he finally leaves, the house descending into complete silence. 

Nariko stands, finally feeling well enough to make breakfast. Even though Tetsuro had given her an idea, she felt that it might be better to eat something a little lighter for her upset stomach and stuck with toast with raspberry jam. 

When she was done, she washed her dish and headed back to her new room, going through the boxes to unpack what was in them. It took a total of two hours, but eventually everything was tidy enough to call it quits. 

Nariko turns to survey her work, noting that Hime was curled up on her freshly made bed. 

"Oh, Hime.... Everything seems to have just gotten harder. I don't even understand anymore... But I guess starting over isn't too bad huh?" she hums, petting the kitten who softly purrs. A smile graces her lips, Nariko finally getting up to stretch. "I suppose I should do something with my day. Maybe I'll take the dogs for a walk," she decides. 

The dogs in question were both laying on the kitchen floor, lazing about. "Hey, do you want to go for a walk?" she asks, both dogs bolting upright at the offer. She grabs the leashes off the hook, Yukio and Katsu barking excitedly as they scramble for the front door. The excitement causes Nariko to laugh. When was the last time she felt happy like this?

Nariko puts the thought out of her head, attaching the leash to each dog, heading out the door. "Don't pull okay?" she murmurs to the two excited mutts, heading down the driveway. Tetsuro lived in a more suburban area, not having houses right on top of one another. The morning was fresh, the birds singing their song as she passed by, the crunch of her shoes on the gravel seeming loud to her ears.

After a while, she felt her heart beat slow, becoming relaxed as she jogs with the dogs. Both seemed beautifully behaved on the leach, and she knew they must have felt relieved to get out and take a run. After what seemed like a short time, but really had been close to half an hour, a car pulls up beside her.

Nariko slows to a stop, smiling as Bokuto's head appears out the window. "Are you heading back soon?" He asks, idling the car. Nariko nods. "I'm not familiar with the area and I don't want to get lost," she says, shifting the leashes to her other hand. Bokuto nods. "If you take that road right there and take a left, it doubles back to the house," He advises her. 

"Alright. I'll be back soon," she agrees, heading in the direction that was pointed out to her. The steady thump thump of her heart beat calmed her as she continued her jog, the crisp air peaceful instead of heavy like the city she had just left the day before. 

The road did indeed double back like she had been told, and before long, she was in front of the house, letting the dogs in. Bokuto's voice calls from the living room, the tv sounding ahead. "In here if you need anything," he says, watching her walk past. Nariko hums. "I'm going to get a shower. After, do you think maybe we can go into town?"

"Yeah, I can get you there, no problem!" He calls cheerfully, making the woman smile at his enthusiasm. "Alright. I'll see you in a bit," she says, heading to her bedroom to grab clean clothes. After a few minutes, she was in the bathroom and under the pounding water, letting it relax her tight muscles. The smell of Bath And Bodyworks Strawberry Pound Cake bodywash permeated the air.

After washing her body and her hair, she stands back under the steaming hot water to rinse, the water therapeutic for her nerves. "Hmm, I suppose I should be done before I use up all the hot water," she sighs to herself, rinsing the rest of the suds off before shutting the water off.

A fluffy towel wrapped around her body, Nariko gets out and dries herself off before getting dressed. "It's a good thing I remembered to bring a change of clothes in here or it'd be awkward walking across the hall butt naked," she tells herself. When she was fully dressed, she opens the door, wringing the rest of the water out of her long hair.

Bokuto was sat on the couch, looking at his phone. After a moment, he looks up and offers her a cheeky grin. "I've got a joke for you. What do you call a pig that does Karate?" Nariko frowns, staring at him as she processes this. "I don't know. What is it?" she finally asks. "A pork chop," Bokuto cackles. 

Nariko smirks, but he wasn't done. Oh no... "Why doesn't Professor Snape teach Herbology?" he asks. Nariko frowns once again, her brain determined to come up with something. After a full minute, she finally gives up. "I don't know. Why doesn't he teach Herbology?" she finally asks. He snorts, trying not to ruin it. "Because his Lily died," he howls.

A gasp escapes Nariko's lips as she looks at him in horror. "No! Bokuto! That was so horrible!" She cries, looking absolutely horrified. He doubles over in laughter, smiling wide at her. "Ah, but I did get a laugh out of you. If you're almost ready, we can head out whenever," he replies, still grinning widely. She lets out a sigh and then smiles. "I just need a hat and my wallet," she replies, going to get the said items.

Before long, she was back with him, ready to head out. "If you don't mind, I'd like to stop and get us both a coffee. It looks like we could both use one this morning," he offers. Nariko nods. "As long as I can get a cinnamon sugar oat milk latte, we're good," she nods. 

"Hey, Hey Hey! That sounds amazing!" He chirps cheerfully. "It's my all time favorite drink," Nariko confides. Bokuto commits that to memory, wanting to ask a million questions, but at the same time, not wanting to overwhelm her. He grabs his keys off the counter, leading her out to the car. "Let me know if you're feeling sick, okay?" he says as they strap in.

Nariko nods, taking a deep breath. "Alright, I will. I'm ready whenever you are," she murmurs as he starts the car, pulling out of the driveway and onto the road. "Alright, off to Kiku Cafe," he says, driving for the town.