Chapter 6. Eor

Nueleth was a wild place. The creatures that resided in this part were the stuff of nightmares. Normally, they wouldn't be able to hurt me, but they could now.

I also had to think about Elis.

Deep in the lush shadow of the forest, something big was coming. I searched around for something I could use to defend myself and Elis before finding a large branch. It was as big as my leg and twice the length.

I tried to break it in half and ended up with my wrists almost broken. The shooting pain made tears roll down my face. I cursed aloud, then tried again by carefully positioning the gigantic branch against a rock and jumping on it.

The final result pleased me—two crude spikes with jagged sharp ends would be good enough to gut anything. I wished I could sharpen them some more, but there was no time or tool for that. I touched my head for a little assurance, and my heart just dropped.

I remembered what had happened.

Now when I focused on it, the piercing headache was not there anymore, but so was something else. My body was sore and disoriented.

It didn't feel good.

"Come here, little fucker. Whatever you are." I whispered and strained my eyes to the trees.

The movements reminded me of a whale swimming through the ocean. Or a dragon in the open sky.

Effortlessly.

Oooooh....

Come on, don't play with me like that.

I could see its large stony head, then its body. The tan clay was in contrast with the vegetation. Under the bright sun, Eor stood with his arms raised in an elaborate greeting gesture. His mouth opened as wide as a well.

Scary, yet it was a friendly smile.

"Eor, come here!" I waved at him. "Come here, you big thing!"

The golem parted the bushes and waded through the shallow water. He grunted happily.

I needed Eor. His appearance was nothing short of a gift from the gods. I needed to get Elis back to the fortress where Adelmo and the riders were, but I had no horse. Carrying him on foot through the forest and the marshland would be impossible.

I also needed to let the elf king know what was coming if it had not come already.

I felt a knot in my stomach thinking of all the undead Svyies that Cia would set loose. They should not be here. What was dead should stay dead.

The Svyies used to be the masters of this land. Before the elves, dwarves, wraiths, and other creatures even existed, the Svyies had built their own kingdom, using the power that Olene—Goddess of Light— had granted them.

They were believed to be the Goddess' direct descendants, who had enjoyed a peaceful and prosperous world until one day their king, Godum the First, had decided to challenge Bazotz—God of War. Godum had been defeated and the Svyies had lost the gods' favor since. Olene, in an attempt to pacify Bazotz, had taken away their light.

Life had withered, but Olene had not wanted to kill off her children. She had hidden some Svyies, Godum and his family included, in a mountain, waiting for the day Bazotz's grudge was subsided. That day, unfortunately, had never come. Somehow, after a few millennia, Cia had gotten her hands on a pair of horns that used to belong to Godum the First.

So here I was, a pureblood Svyie with no parents.

I could feel Elis' very subtle breathing. I leaned down and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. Picking him up was a task but not impossible. Eor was behind me, waiting patiently. I looked back and smiled at him.

Suddenly, Elis' weight knocked me off my balance. I fell face-first on the ground. It was painful, but I lay there with my eyes wide open for a different reason.

The elf was not heavy at all. He shouldn't be, but I couldn't move him an inch. My arms held no strength. Something was wrong.

Time was of the essence. I needed to get back.

The sun had set behind the line of trees. The air got colder. I shivered in my wet clothes. Elis didn't look so good. His face was so pale, and I was afraid he would stop breathing at any time without me knowing. My stomach growled, adding to my predicament.

At least, Eor was here so no creature could attack us.

"Eor," I raised my hand.

The golem meekly bent down and scooped both of us in his hands. They, when put together, were as big as a tea table. The earthy smell from Eor and my own exhaustion tempted me to close my eyes. I squeezed Elis, trying to find some warmth in him.

...

I didn't know how long it had been, but I heard drums playing somewhere.

I liked it. The sounds were calming. I didn't feel cold or hungry anymore.

The drumming got a little louder and moved right under my ear. I seemed pressed on a hard bed, but I didn't mind. I just wanted to bury my face deeper in it and never wake up.

Something brushed the two short stumps that used to be my horns. It tickled.

"We should do this more often, Horn...Now that you can't blind me with these."

The bed could talk. First time for everything.