𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

❧

Sage had to return to the Cullen house at some point. When night fell, Sam led her back, his hand comforting as he held hers. She was grumbling underneath her breath, and Sam was laughing at the indignation in her tone.

"I was perfectly fine where I was," she said, stepping over a log.

"No offense, Sage, but if you had pores, you'd smell really bad right now," Sam replied, turning back with a grin. "We need to get you in new clothes and think up a game plan for tomorrow."

"I do not wish to," Sage replied sullenly.

Sam raised an eyebrow. "Is that a whine I hear, Sage?"

"I would never."

"But you did."

"You do not know what you speak of."

Sam snorted. "I think you're whining, and it's very unbecoming of you."

"You sound like Felix," Sage commented as the Cullen house came into view.

Sam growled. "You didn't just compare me to that sociopath."

"I think you are upset that you hold more in common with him than you wish to." Sage stepped onto the stairs, bouncing. "How tragic for you."

"What's tragic is you even befriending him in the first place."

Sage shrugged, about to head upstairs and change. "He was a better brother than Elis."

"Brother?" Sam raised an eyebrow at her. "You're telling me there was nothing going on between you to? He was--all over you."

"Vampires can be tactile, too," Sage argued if only to get that horrendous picture out of her head.

"Not the way he was."

Sage remained quiet, going upstairs hurriedly and taking her clothes off, changing into something that did not have dirt caked all over it. Sam was right; Sage would have smelled if she had pores. That was a sickening thought. Almost as disgusting as the thought of her and Felix together in a romantic way.

She grimaced at Sam when she returned. There was a spot open beside him on the loveseat. He scooted over, an invitation. Sage huffed, but sat down. Sam smirked at her.

Emmett said, "I totally thought Felix and Sage were together when I saw them with the Volturi."

Sam gave Sage a look. Sage held her forehead in her hand.

"We were not, and never will be, together," she stressed, feeling tired. "I cannot believe--" she almost wanted to gag, "--that you would think something so cruel about me."

"Not cruel, but true," Emmett commented. "And frankly, he was a little too handsy with you when he came to visit."

"I do not understand," Sage said irritably. "Do you not roughhouse with Edward and Jasper?"