𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞

When Alice and Jasper pass through their land and give him a note, Sam knows that they're going to be in for it.

Honestly, he knew as soon as Reneesme was born that the wolves were going to be involved in something else--that their time with the Cullens would not be over until one last stand was taken.

When she gives him the note to take to Bella, he gets angry. How dare they leave when they need them the most? How dare they force Sam to give the news to their family only to break their heart? He had been indignant, fearful that he would never forgive them for their betrayal.

That is until the day of the meeting came, and Sam stood in his wolf form, snarling and angry at the pale faces who dared walk upon his--their--lands.

Alice and Jasper come with proof that Reneesme is good--that she will not be harmful to the world. The leeches' secret will be kept safe as long as the Volturi let them leave in peace.

Nonetheless, Sam is looking for a fight to break out even though the other bloodsuckers seem amicable enough. When the Volturi kill the Cullens' cousin, Irina, he assumes that he needs to prepare himself to give the leading command to his pack. He watches the brunette vampire wrap black tendrils around Irina and snap her in half and he feels hatred for someone he doesn't even know.

When the girl erupted from nowhere, Sam believed her to be a secret weapon that the Volturi were going to use to decimate them all. Now, staring at her and the sheer power on the tip of her fingertips, Sam knows that she is a force to be reckoned with—that she is the queen on the chessboard and the one who controls the entire game—and he wants to be the one to end the bloodsucker's life.

Sadly, Alice and Jasper come at the time when Sam is debating going for her or the long-haired leech with a power kink. He's snarling low in his throat, feeling vindictive against these inferior beings.

Enough, Sam, Paul's voice floats into his mind. Why are you even angry?

And Sam isn't quite sure, just knows that someone with this much strength doesn't deserve to live. There is too much power in her, too much evil for her to wield it correctly.

But then, to his utmost surprise, the female knows who Elis is. Sam turns his head to stare at Leah, her lips curled up in a protective snarl as they both start toward the crowd of evil cold ones.

Internally, he frowns, resentment curling in his chest even though he's happy for Leah. Longing chokes him up, and Sam feels just like the vampire who calls out Elis's name like a plea for help--broken and lost.

He had never expected there would be a day where he would have to let go of Leah. Everything between them had been perfect. They went on dates, kissed until they were breathless, and were in love. Everything she did set him on fire and Sam knew she was the one, even when he didn't imprint on her or her him when both of them phased.

It didn't matter if their ancestors didn't put them together--Sam would fight for her until his dying breath. Would fight for them.

That is until they found out a newborn army was coming after them and the wolves had to meet with the Cullens.

The moment Leah's eyes fell upon Elis, she was gone. Sam no longer preoccupied her thoughts, her eyes only searching for the bloodsucker even if Leah herself was indignant about the entire thing.

They broke up after the meeting, Leah coming over to his house after she shifted and changed into some clothes.

"I'm sorry," she said, crying. Her eyes were bloodshot, and her hands were shaking so hard she could barely reach out for him in the way that she normally did. Sam wished to wrap her up in a hug and fight the imprint and the world for doing something so cruel to the both of them. "Sam, I'm so, sorry. I just. It feels right. I tried to fight it, but I need to--I have to see him."

And he couldn't deny her that. Had been too weak, too in love with the sun-kissed girl to say no to her. He kissed her on the crown of her head, pulling her into an embrace, saying, "You've got nothing to apologize for, Lee Lee. Just make sure he treats you right okay?"

Later, he had cried himself, when his mother came home from work and found him huddled up on the couch with reruns of his least favorite show on. She had brought him into a hug, and he lost it--lost everything.

He was completely and truly unraveled.

It gets better. Sam doesn't always wallow in his misery even if some days are worse than others. Leah moves on from him and even though he's still in love with her, the pain gets a bit easier.

At the hearing, he wants to support her. He doesn't know what the cold one wants with Elis and he will do anything to ensure that Leah's imprint stays safe, so she never has to go through the pain of losing him, so he sends a message to everyone to prepare for a fight.

But the girl doesn't fight, nor does she make a move towards Elis. She seems amazed that Elis is in front of her, but mostly she seems scared of her master's heavy gaze, for she disappears into his cloak after claiming she is no one.

And Sam--he still hates the vampire, but there's something there that has his own wolf shifting uncomfortably as he loses sight of her. Almost like it needs to keep track of her. Like it needs to see her to make sure that everything is okay.

Sam chalks it up to the vampire being too powerful for her tiny frame, but her face is embedded into his mind when he returns home that night.

It's the first night he doesn't feel any pain.