Ericson's - War Tales

Pushing the courtyard doors open, you step out into the courtyard, the morning sun greeting you immediately. You immediately notice Marlon waiting for you right ahead, overviewing the yard while leaned against a brick wall.

The courtyard is big and spacious, but not in great condition. A few picnic tables are spread across the place as well as some old couches put around a campfire site. To your left, you notice a dog house and what seem to be basement doors. On your right, there is a giant building with a balcony, although the railing is destroyed and further behind seems to be a small graveyard.

In the corner of your eye, you spot a young man with shoulder long brown hair, carving something out of a piece of wood by the wall. He's already giving you dirty looks, which you try to ignore for now. It doesn't look like you might be friends with him anytime soon.

And while on the topic.

You count quite a few people here, almost twenty to be exact. Mostly people your age, but some adults too, one of them being on watch. A bulky, bald man, holding a rifle on top of the wall.

Marlon: Y/N. Join me.

You walk up to the archer and give him a nod, as he gestures towards the community.

Marlon: Welcome to Ericson's Boarding School for Troubled Youth. A safe place for young and old alike, wishing to live out their days in freedom and peace.

You cock an eyebrow, intrigued. You knew this was some kind of school, but a boarding school? Ain't that where parents send brats off to for better behaviour?

Y/N: So.. what's the story behind this place.. all of you? How did y'all end up here?

He chuckles.

Marlon: Most of us got send here as kids for reeducation. When the virus hit, faculty ran off on us, left us to fend for ourselves. Some of us hoped that our parents would come and get us. That was a fucking pipe dream. Ms. Martin, the school nurse.. she stayed. Had kids of her own, yet.. she chose to take care of us.

You listen on.

Marlon: Anyway, after she died, it was up to the older kids to take care of the younger ones. I was the leader for a long time. Until Clementine came.

Y/N: When was that?

He takes a moment to think before replying.

Marlon: It's been.. around three months now. She's seen more of the world, more of the road. Fought in raids even, she has battle experience. It did take some adjusting and time, but we eventually accepted her as one of our own. And once we noticed how special she is.. I decided to step down, hand the wheel to her. She's been doing a great job since.

You nod.

Y/N: I remember her differently. When I met her, she was.. impulsive.. angry, uncontrollable. Deep down, I saw the person she seems to be today though. I guess getting AJ back is all it took.

The blonde chuckles.

Marlon: I'm assuming you helped her get the kid back. No wonder she holds you in high regard then. Her and that kid are inseparable.

You can't help but to smile a little, feeling proud that you helped make that possible.

Y/N: Anyway.. how does one even end up in a boarding school?

He sighs.

Marlon: Most people ended up here just because their parents felt like being assholes. Others.. violence.. credit card theft.. arseny.. see that guy with the brown hair by the wall?

He gestures towards the brunette that gave you the dirty looks a few minutes ago.

Marlon: That idiot built and set off pipe bombs around his block.