Chapter 4

For this chapter, I HIGHLY recommend you listen to A Change is Gonna Come by Otis Redding. I love this song so I hope yall love it too.

**************

Samarah was scared, cold, and desperate.

She had been walking around for almost two hours trying to find a decent hotel that she felt secure in and could afford. Her phone had died and the sun was already going down.

How stupid could I be I should've left earlier this morning.

You never want to be outside at night its when bad people come out, especially in this part of the city. Jhacari's voice echoed in her head reminding herself of why she never liked going outside. Remembering that just made her walk faster.

The rumble of Sy'lences stomach makes her attention switch from finding a hotel to finding a food place to feed her child. They both didn't each much since they spent most of the day hiding in the bedroom.

Continuing down the street Samarah Reaches a diner with a neon sign above that says "Ruby's Diner" in cursive. Peering through the windows she sees that there are only a couple of customers. Walking in Samarah takes a seat in the closest booth next to the door. She unzips her child from her jacket, sets them next to her on the inside of the booth letting her look out the window, and waits for a waiter.

***

Ordering food for both of them they dig in. Samarah has gumbo and Sy'lence has chicken tenders. Both ate like they haven't eaten in years, so they finished their food quickly. The food they would have back at home wasn't good. Samarah would give Jhacari a list and he would go to the grocery store for her. He never came back with the right things they were always bad but Samarah was raised to be grateful for everything someone gave her so she never complained. But the food wasn't giving her or her child the nutrients they needed and she couldn't go get it herself because she was too scared to leave the apartment without Jhacari by her side due to all of the dangers he would tell her about and she didn't have a job or the money.

Leaning back in her spot Sy'lence lets out a small burp making her cover her mouth and giggle to herself. Looking up at her other she taps her arm.

"Mama did you hear that," she said covering her mouth again and laughing.

At least she is still happy.

"I did, are you full," the mother asked patting her child's bloated stomach this is the first time she's ever seen Sy'lence full. She definitely wouldn't need to breastfeed tonight.

Nodding the small child continued giggling every now and thinking about the burp.

How am I going to pay for this food, Samarah thought to herself. How could I be so stupid you should've gotten something from a gas station so you could have enough money for the hotel.

Glancing around she thought about getting up and just running out of there but her morals wouldn't let her. If she did that she wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it.

Flagging down a waiter she asked, "can I speak to the owner," speaking softly.

Nodding the women headed toward the back to the get-owner.

A short woman walked out from the back and adjusted her small gray afro, clothes, and apron wanted to be somewhat presentable even though her apron was a mess.

"Is everything okay baby," The woman said letting her southern accent flow through her words?

"Yes ma'am," Samarah said speaking softly offering a small smile.